Museum hosting a sleepover for adults

Adults are lining up to get in at The National History and Science Museum in their PJ’s?

For the first time ever the NHSM will be hosting their first ever adult (21 ) sleepover where adults can experience their childhood dreams.

Lauren Landavazo, the special events manager of the museum, said they have had multiple requests for “adult camp-ins.”

“Over the last year we have hosted a number of Camp-in’s for children through our Dozing with Dinos program,” Landavazo said. “The number one question I always get asked by parents is why isn’t there an adult camp-in?”

They have at least 50 people signed up already and will cap it at 100, she said.

“This will be a much more sophisticated event of our kid-friendly camp-in,” Landavazo said.

Over the last year the museum hosted several camp-ins for children and adults were only able to stay overnight if they were chaperoning the event, she said.

“The program will feature a delicious buffet dinner, music and dancing, gourmet insect tasting and a live comedy show among other things specifically designed for adults,” said Landavazo. “The menu for insect tasting is Bacon and Cheese Grasshoppers, BBQ Bamboo Worms, Non-Seaweed Armor Tail Scorpions, Salted Queen Weaver Ants, and Wasabi House Crickets.”

The Cooperage will be catering the event for both dinner and breakfast, with Insalta Al Arancia, marinated and grilled flat iron steak with sautéed mushrooms followed by savory sides, and for breakfast, fresh fruit, breakfast burritos and coffee and juice, she said.

Donna Domenici, the marketing director of the Museum, said this will be one of the first adult sleepovers in America.

“This event is based on a similar event in London,” Domenici said. “The camp-in will offer a one-of-a-kind experience for adults 21 and over.”

The camp-in will include a Jurassic Park movie marathon on our 60-foot-high, five-story-tall, screen in the DynaTheater, she said.

“Participants will be able to spend the night sleeping among the Jurassic super giants, massive mammoths, saber-toothed cats, and in many of the other darkened exhibit halls,” Domenici said. “They could even stay in our Hall of Stars; some children have even slept on the benches throughout the exhibits.”

The itinerary for the evening includes carving stations for dinner, a trivia quiz by Geeks Who Drink, a lecture on insect sex, music, cash bars and a continental breakfast in the morning, she said.

“The cash bars will be serving a selection of spirits, wine, beer and soft drinks,” Domenici said.

Clint Wells, the Development Director for the museum, said he will be attending the event and looks forward to the insect tasting.

“The program is fit for any adult, to come to a place they enjoy, to have a younger student — and have an adult night,” said Wells.

They look forward to having students a young people as they are more likely to have recently visited the museum, he said.

“It’s a great way to engage adults who might not otherwise come to the museum” Wells said. “We would love for this to be a regular event, in fact annually or more; we would love it to continue to grow.”

Wells said he hopes that this event will reach out to younger people within the community

The Natural History and Science Museum
1801 Mountain Rd NW
Albuquerque, NM 87107
505-841-2823

The cost of tickets are $95 per person or $85 for members. The event will take place July 26 from 7:30PM to July 27 at 7:30AM.

Moriah Carty is a Freelance Writer for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @MoriahCarty.