Fall term debuts with Friday Night Live!

Live from the University of New Mexico, it’s Friday Night Live!

This Friday, the Student Union Building will host the seventh annual Friday Night Live! celebration to kick off the school year.

All students are welcome to attend the free event sponsored by the Student Activities Center for a night of friends, games, music and other activities aimed at breaking the ice for the upcoming semester.

Ryan Lindquist, associate director at the SAC, said that last year more than 2,500 students were present in the SUB for Friday Night Live!, and he expects a similar turnout for this fall’s festivities.

“We’re bringing back all of the favorites from last year,” Lindquist said. “This year there will be a photo booth, casino games, Henna tattoos, karaoke, student organizations, video games on projection screens and a dance.”

Satellite Coffee joins the fun this year, offering various beverages and limited food items, he said.

“It’s a great way to have fun with friends before the semester begins,” Lindquist said, “and if that’s not enough, free food every 30 minutes.”

Vendors will offer a variety of food at different areas throughout the SUB to encourage students to explore the event and take everything in, he said. Pizza, desserts, finger foods, candy, popcorn, Pepsi products and more are on the menu — all of which comes at no cost to the students.

Krista Marrs, senior business administration and executive director for Student Special Events, said she’s been working at this event for the past few years.

“It’s a great way to welcome people back,” Marrs said. “It says ‘we’re here, we’re ready to go school,’ or at least the social aspect of it.”

Aside from the work aspect of the event, Marrs said it’s about reconnecting with friends in the new school year and maybe making a few new ones in the process.

“It’s just a great way for students — especially freshmen or students who aren’t involved in clubs — to really figure out what groups they want to be a part of,” Marrs said.

Jorge Guerrero, a sophomore dual major in mechanical engineering and Spanish, said this will be his first time attending the event.

“I really regret not going my freshman year,” Guerrero said. “People have told me so many great things about it. I’m telling everyone I know to go.”

Having attended the similar Late Night Breakfast event last semester, Guerrero said he hopes the food at Friday Night Live! will be just as delicious.

Lindquist said the people in attendance are usually freshmen or students living in the dorms, but he encourages all students to attend the social gathering. UNM clubs, Greek organizations and Lobo sports teams will also be present for information sessions and questions.

The event is scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. and run until 11 p.m. Lines for popular activities will be long, so the SAC suggests getting there early in order to experience it all.

Tomas Lujan is the assistant editor at the culture desk for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at cultureassistant@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TomasVLujan.