Book reviews: Last-minute sci-fi and horror to check out

The semester may have begun, but there’s still a little time to squeeze in some leisure reading before classes get into full swing. Check out these last-minute quick reads:

“Suffer the Children”

Craig DiLouie’s latest apocalyptic horror novel lives up to its genre. The world is left desperate and heartbroken when every child inexplicably dies. It gets a lot worse when they come back to life, though.

“The Dark Lady’s Stone”

Loriano doesn’t buy into the religious fanaticism sweeping the realm, but when a rival deity takes notice of the court troubadour, he can only do his best to keep up. This is the second book in Christie Maurer’s “Tales of the Dark Lady,” a fantasy series so well-written that reading the previous book isn’t necessary.

“Sidekick”

Bremy is friendless, penniless and clueless — that is, until she meets local superhero Dark Ryder and decides to become the hero’s sidekick, whether Dark Ryder wants one or not. Auralee Wallace’s debut novel is an easy and fun read with surprising depth.

“AFTERPARTY”

Ten years ago, a group of friends created a designer drug with a terrible side effect. Now that drug is on the street and killing people, Lyda has made it her mission to find her old friends, find out who is behind releasing the drug and put a stop to it for good. This is Darryl Gregory’s best science fiction novel to date.

Jyllian Roach is the editor in chief for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Jyllian_R.