President Bob Frank took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with other leaders of the UNM community including GPSA President Texanna Martin, ASUNM President Rachel Williams, Provost Chaouki Abdallah, Vice President of Student Affairs Cheo Torres, Dean of Students Tomás Aguirre as well as the Lobo Cheerleading Team on Aug. 27 outside Zimmerman Library.

President Frank challenges Lobos to join cause

Nearly $2,200 has been raised since President Bob Frank challenged the UNM community to donate to ALS research after taking the Ice Bucket Challenge on Wednesday.

Frank took the icy bath with several other top UNM administrators in Smith Plaza in front of Zimmerman Library after being challenged by Mayor Richard Berry and head Soccer Coach Jeremy Fishbein last week, Ethan Rule, University marketing representative, said.

Frank said campus administrators will collectively match the donations up to $1,000 dollars.

Frank was proud to accept the challenge on behalf of all people afflicted by ALS, otherwise known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, but especially for members of the UNM community, such as former tennis coach Loren Dils, who has ALS and attended the event, he said.

At the event, Frank challenged the entire UNM community to donate to the cause, he said.

“We encourage all of you, whether you do the Ice Bucket Challenge or not, to donate money to try and cure this horrible disease,” Frank said. “We’re here today to try and make a difference.”

After watching the event, Dils said he was touched that he was included in and invited to the ceremony.

Dils felt honored to be a part of something that has raised so much money to help cure the disease he lives with everyday, he said.

According to the ALS foundation website, almost $100 million has been raised for research through the ice bucket challenge.

“It’s absolutely incredible to be brought in as a part of the Lobo community for this,” he said. “I’m just so happy to be thought of.”

Gratuate and Professional Student Association President Texanna Martin and Associated Presidents of the University of New Mexico President Rachel Williams sat next to Frank during the event and got doused as well.

Both said they plan to donate to the cause

Martin said she will donate $50 and she’s encouraged graduate students to accept Franks challenge as well.

“I hope the graduate community will donate, even if it’s just a dollar,” she said.

Williams said she was happy to be a part of an amazing cause, despite the frigid effects, and was excited to donate.

“I think it’s incredible that so many people came out to support us in this,” Williams said. “I’m just happy to be a part of this.”

The Ice Bucket Challenge is a viral marketing campaign intended to raise awareness and funding for ALS research. When one is challenged, they have 24 hours to respond by either contributing to research funds, recording a video of ice water being poured over there head, or both.

After completing the challenge, they can challenge others to do the same.

To see footage of Frank, Martin and Williams completing the Ice Bucket Challenge, visit dailylobo.com.

Daniel Montaño is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.