Lobo women finish Italian tour with loss to Netherlands

Freshman guard Cherise Beynon scores 16 points in defeat

by Liam Cary-Eaves

The New Mexico women’s basketball team concluded its tour of Italy with a 54-41 loss to the Netherlands National Team.

Despite finishing up 2-2 in the four game exhibition trip, head coach Yvonne Sanchez said she was pleased with the competitiveness of her squad.

“I thought this was a great trip for us,” Sanchez said. “We played four tough games, which were good for us. And we were able to spend a lot of time together – just like a family because that’s what we are. I couldn’t be more proud of our girls both on and off the court.”

Both of UNM’s losses came to the Dutch team. However, a bright spot in the Lobos’ loss was the play of freshman guard Cherise Beynon.

Beynon led the team with 16 points including four shots from beyond the arc. Khadijah Shumpert flirted with a double-double in yet another contest collecting eight points and nine boards.

Redshirt senior guard Antiesha Brown put together another solid effort scoring 10 points and grabbing four boards.

The Lobos walked into the locker room at the midpoint in the game clinching to a 28-28 tie. However a cold spell in the third quarter provided a hole that was too big to get out of.

Liam Cary-Eaves is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached via email at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.