Environmental Internships
Daily Lobo Logo
Clear, 33°F
7 day forecast
Saturday, December 20, 2014

UNM women take first loss in Italian hoops tour

The New Mexico women’s basketball team had trouble closing out the Netherlands national team in its first loss of the Italy exhibition tour. The team has dropped to 2-1 following a 53-44 loss to the Dutch squad.

Head Coach Yvonne Sanchez said she is not concerned with the loss because she is playing everyone in order to get a feel for everyone’s role on the team.

“You can tell they’re a very good team, and they practice year-round,” Sanchez said. “It’s a good experience for us. Again, I’m going to play everybody to see what kind of roles people are going to fill (this season).”

Although the Lobos had a three-point lead in the fourth quarter, UNM couldn’t regroup after Netherlands went on a 14-0 run.

Sanchez added that the team is still on a learning curve, but the squad is getting a feel for one another in an unusual early start to the preseason.

“The kids are learning. It was good to take away the positive things we’ve done. Obviously, we have a lot of things we have to work on. But it’s August. That’s the way we want to play in February or March – like them (Netherlands),” Sanchez said.

Forward Khadijah Shumpert scored a team-high 13 points.

UNM will get a rematch with the Netherlands national team on Wednesday.

Liam Cary-Eaves is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. Contact him at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.