Lobo women earn first victory in Italy hoops tour

UNM demolishes AS Vicenza 74-37

Although the New Mexico women’s basketball team gets to experience all that Italy has to offer, the squad is not on vacation.

Senior guard Antiesha Brown received the game’s MVP after scoring 16 points in a 74-37 route against AS Vincenza on Thursday night in the opening game of the NCAA Vicenza Tour exhibition.

“I was waiting for this since we got off the plane,” Brown said in an article on GoLobos.com. “Italy is nice, but I’m a competitor and I was ready to compete as soon as we touched the ground.”

The Lobos dominated the majority of the game after breaking away from a 9-9 tie, Brown said she thought that the team played well, but knows that there is a lot of work to be done.

“We are going to have to make a lot of adjustments as a team,” Brown said in the golobos.com postgame interview. “Other than that, it’s a good place to build from.”

Head coach Yvonne Sanchez said she also was pleased with her team’s performance, but agreed that the team still has progress to make.

“We have to keep getting better,” she said. “We have to clean up some of the turnovers that we had, play together, pick it up defensively – although I thought we did a nice job with it (tonight) – and just go out and have some fun.”

Forward Alexa Chavez put together an 11-point, eight-rebound night to coincide with Khadijah Shumpert’s nine points and nine boards.

As a unit, Sanchez said she was pleased with the way her team performed.

“All of them did a nice job; they all got out there and played. I think all of them scored. They all got out there and did some things,” Sanchez said in the article.

UNM is now 1-0 in the tournament and will take on the Pesaro All-Stars/Adriatic Sea Sirens at 6 p.m. (10 a.m. MT) Saturday.

Liam Cary-Eaves is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.