Crime briefs for Sept. 11

Sept. 1

Resident of Lobo Village  found with narcotics

A UNM Police Department officer was dispatched to Lobo Village in response to a report of narcotics located in a room. According to the report, a resident advisor received a complaint about an odor of marijuana coming from a room.

When UNMPD arrived, the officer found a Red Bull can and a Coca-Cola can with false compartments concealing marijuana, a line of residue of a white powdery substance with a piece of rolled paper next to it, a glass bong with a glass pipe and a switchblade knife.

The room’s occupant admitted the items were his and said the white power was Adderall, which he had snorted and for which he did not have a prescription. The Dean of Students office will investigate the incident and decide on any further action. The items were placed into evidence and tagged for destruction.

Lobo Village advisor’s  vehicle vandalized

UNMPD was dispatched to Lobo Village to investigate reported harassment. According to the report, insults and obscene pictures were drawn in chalk on a student’s vehicle. The car was parked under a surveillance camera and video may be available. There was no permanent damage done to the vehicle. The victim was a resident advisor for Lobo Village.

Sept. 2

Student falls prey to  immigration scam

A student filed a report with UNMPD concerning phone fraud. According to the report, the student received a call from an unknown person who claimed to be an agent from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. The student was instructed to purchase a $280 pre-paid money card in order to pay a fee to correct his immigration paperwork. The student complied and was then called again to pay an additional $749, at which point the student became suspicious.

UNMPD spoke with the caller, and told him not to call the student again because the scam was reported to police. The caller replied “you go f*** yourself and tell that other motherf***er to stop calling me.” The phone number was a toll-free number that belongs to USCIS.

Sept. 3

Stolen truck was  parked in T Lot

A vehicle was stolen from T-Lot. According to the police report, the victim reported to UNMPD that he parked his blue Ford F-150 in the northeast corner of the parking lot at approximately 5 p.m. When he returned at 7:50 p.m., he found that his truck was gone. The truck has not yet been recovered.

- Compiled by Erika Eddy