Play review: Picasso, Einstein chat it up at the Vortex

So, Steve Martin wrote a play.

Yes, that Steve Martin. And it’s hilarious.

It is the imagined meeting of Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso, each in their early twenties, at a random bar in Paris in 1904. Thus: “Picasso at the Lapin Agile.” The two battle over the supremacy of art versus science, then ultimately conclude that they are very much the same and become fast friends.

The barflies are in awe of what they’ve seen. But there has to be a triptych — a final point to the triangle. If these two men are going to change the 20th century, who is the third?

And then the punch line walks out of the bathroom.

“Picasso at the Lapin Agile” is fantastic, clever and insightful script with the best of highbrow humor.

As the Vortex’s flagship production in their new performance space, it has quite the burden of expectation. While the play overall is a grand time and enjoyable experience, there is certainly some roughness around the edges that, though it does not sink the performance, speaks to missed opportunities.

They don’t have to drag focus. But silent moments like those across the bar between Picasso (played by E. Grey Blanco) and Suzanne, the sexy young conquest of his desires (played by Evening Star Barron), are few and far between.

Some performances are through the roof, blasted to orbit and happily chucking jokes down at us from space. Mario Cabrera, Micah McCoy and Paul Hunton each come rocketing onstage, instilling the play with fun, energy and invention.

Since there is such a significant dissonance between these performances and others, it leads me to believe there was a light touch from director Matthew Andrews.

Actors like Cabrera, McCoy and Hunton clearly have strong comedic instincts.

Leigh-Ann Santillanes is a fine actor, demonstrated by her artful handling of her monologue about “men like you.” But for most the play, she is completely unengaged from Freddy, her husband, (well-played by the nutty Nathan Chavez).

If you see “Picasso at the Lapin Agile,” you will enjoy it. It is a little slow, but delightful and clever.

Graham Gentz is a play and film reviewer for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@DailyLobo.