Crime briefs

Graffiti tagger using fruit

UNMPD reported that the “prickly pear cactus” suspect had created more graffiti around campus using the juice of prickly pears. According to the reports, the suspect is yet to be identified. UNMPD said graffiti written in prickly pear juice is costly for the University to deal with because it difficult to remove.

The juice has to be painted over since it is not easily washed off. The Daily Lobo has been reporting about the investigation since 2012. UNMPD said the graffiti had not been seen for a while and has recently resurfaced. Current phrases suspected to be written by the suspect are “VIVA LA REVOLUTION” and “End Slave Wages.”

Attempted auto burglary  near stadium

On Sept. 21, UNMPD was dispatched to the football stadium in reference to an attempted theft of a motor vehicle and auto burglary. According to the report, the victim parked his 2005 Cadillac Escalade pickup in the stadium lot at about 8:20 p.m. while he went to football practice. When he returned to his vehicle, he found the driver’s side door open and the ignition lock was broken. His wallet and backpack were missing. The victim stated that he believes the battery to his keyless entry may have died, causing easy access to the vehicle. There were no signs of forced entry.

Auto burglary at  Lobo Village

On Sept. 22, UNMPD filed a report in reference to an auto burglary. According to the report, the victim parked his 2012 Mazda in the guest parking lot of Lobo Village on Sept. 19. When he returned to his vehicle on Sept. 22, he saw the items from his glove box on the floor board. Two iPods and a Fender amplifier were taken from his vehicle. The victim stated that he was sure he secured his vehicle but there were no signs of forced entry.

Harassment near Dane Smith

On Sept. 25, UNMPD was dispatched to Dane Smith Hall in reference to a female student who was harassed and battered by a male student. According to the report, the female student was sitting on the grass near the Duck Pond at about 3 p.m. She was approached by a male student who told her his first name and asked to join her. The victim stated that the suspect placed his hand on her lower back and asked for a kiss.

When she refused, he attempted to kiss and fondle her. The victim left and went toward Dane Smith Hall and the suspect followed her until she entered the building. The victim did not press charges and was provided contacts and resources from Lobo Respect, an ongoing awareness and educational campaign regarding sexual violence.

According to UNMPD this student acted appropriately in reporting this incident right away.

“Finding a safe place and reporting the incident right away is important for safety and possible identification and apprehension of the suspect,” said UNMPD Lt. Tim Stump.

UNMPD officers will be increasing their patrols of the area in light of the incident.

~ Compiled by Erika Eddy