The Lobo Volleyball team huddles together after its game against Colorado State at Johnson Gym on Thursday night. The Lobos lost to Colorado State 0-3.

UNM volleyball team swept by No. 6 Colorado State

New Mexico had some bright spots against No. 6 Colorado State, despite being swept.

Freshman defensive specialist Stephanie Chavez wound up with 16 digs, the game-high. Chavez said she was exited at the opportunity to help her team out in a big match against CSU (19-1, 7-0 MW).

“I wanted to have a big role tonight,” Chavez said. “I love playing defense and I always love playing against teams that are going to make me do better and make me work harder.”

Head coach Jeff Nelson continued to shuffle his team around to accommodate Hannah Johnson’s high ankle sprain. Johnson still managed 32 assists from the setter position while nursing her injury.

Sophomore Julia Warren was rocking a different jersey than the rest of her team, assuming the role of libero. Generally, Warren is a hard-hitting force from the outside but welcomed the challenge of the defensive position.

“I had never played libero in my life, but I loved it,” Warren said. “They threw me in it and we did the best we could.”

Nelson said his team played hard against the Rams, but said lack of control hurt the squad in a night that UNM had to be in tip top shape.

“They’re a really good team. There’s no question about that,” Nelson said. “We just have to be a little more disciplined and a little more on our game plan.”

UNM (11-8, 4-3 MW) planned for redshirt senior Kelsey Snider to have a big night from the middle, but held the middle blocker to just six kills on 23 attempts.

Nelson said the Lobos were able to succeed in completing a lot of the team’s goals coming into the match, but two players in particular gave UNM a rough time.

Outside hitter Marlee Reynolds and opposite hitting Adrianna Culbert both had double-digit kills in the sweep. Culbert finished with 12 kills and Reynolds with 13 in the 25-17, 25-23, 25-22 sweep.

“Marlee Reynolds had a career night tonight and that’s unfortunate,” Nelson said. “She had a matchup with Hannah (Johnson) and Hannah is hurting, which was tough on us.”

Devanne Sours tied Chantale Riddle with nine kills apiece for the team-high. Sours had 40 hitting attempts on the night, which Nelson said he expected.

“She had to take a lot of swings,” Nelson said. “We’ve got to get more kills out of her.”

The Lobos had 11 blocks to CSU’s six, a goal Nelson said his team had going into the game. But UNM did not hit above .100 all night, while the Rams didn’t hit under the .100 mark in any of the three sets.

Liam Cary-Eaves is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.