New Mexico linebacker Ryan Langford (20) and defensive end William Udeh (92) stop Boise State running back Jay Ajayi (27) during the game on Nov. 8. Colorado State will host New Mexico on Saturday in Fort Collins, Colorado, where the Lobos will look to spoil the No. 22 Rams’ season.

Lobos hope to play spoiler for Colorado State

For the Lobos, it’s their final chance to beat a quality opponent and show more signs of an improving football team. For the Rams, a potential Mountain West Division crown is at stake along with a berth into the MW conference title game. Not to mention an outside shot of making a big time bowl game.

The path for CSU (9-1, 5-1 MW) is simple: Win out and have Boise State lose at least one game. The No. 22 Rams’ only defeat this season was to the Broncos, a 37-24 loss on Sept. 6. Since that loss, CSU has won eight straight games and is a 21.5 point favorite over UNM (3-7, 1-5 MW) in Fort Collins, Colorado.

“That’s a lot of motivation. They’re ranked pretty high and we don’t feel that any team is better than us,” running back Teriyon Gipson said. “To spoil the party for CSU would be great. That would be a great way to start to the weekend.”

The Rams boast one of the best offenses in the nation. CSU averages 480.4 yards per game (19th) and score 34.9 points per game (29th). One key component of CSU’s offensive success is quarterback Garrett Grayson. The senior has thrown for 3,024 passing yards, completing 63 percent of his passes and has tossed 26 touchdowns this season.

As a whole, CSU ranks third in the country in passing efficiency. Grayson has the second best passing efficiency nationally (171.6) and ranks behind Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota (184.6).

“(Grayson) is probably the most sound quarterback that we’ve played this year. His numbers speak for themselves,” safety David Guthrie said. “He’s a real disciplined guy and he’s an operator. He makes that offense do what it does.”

Grayson may control the offense but he has plenty of help. His favorite target this season has been wide receiver Rashard Higgins, who has caught 67 passes for 1,280 yards and 13 touchdowns, a CSU school record.

CSU’s running game is powered by running back Dee Hart. The Alabama graduate has ran for 909 yards and has scored 11 times this season.

Lobo coach Bob Davie compared the Rams high-powered offense to another offensive juggernaut in Boise State. He pointed to the fact that both teams have experienced quarterbacks and both have two explosive tailbacks.

“They have a lot of different formations than you see on a normal basis. They do a lot of flipping, a lot of shifting, a lot of window dressing,” he said. “It’s a very well-conceived offense where they don’t take sacks because they run the ball well.”

The Rams’ defense is another story. Their defense is below average statistically, ranking 85th in the country in total defense (424 yards per game). CSU allows teams to rush for 170 yards per game, which is 106 yards less than UNM averages per game (276).

But the Rams don’t give up many points. CSU lets opposing teams score 23 points per game, sitting at 38th in the nation.

Last season, UNM had little trouble moving the ball against CSU in a 66-42 shootout loss at University Stadium. The Lobos earned 527 total yards of offense in that game.

“On defense they play hard and play a lot of man-to-man coverage. They will be a 4-down team against us,” Davie said. “We have been able to move the ball some against them.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@ThomasRomeroS.

Football at Colorado State

Saturday

11:30 p.m.

TV: ROOT Sports