Sports briefs for Nov. 24

Volleyball

The New Mexico volleyball team lost in five sets at Fresno State on Friday night.

The set scores were 18-25, 26-24, 25-22, 22-25 and 14-16.

UNM blew a potential 3-1 set advantage over Fresno State. In the fifth set, Fresno State earned the victory with back-to-back kills.

Outside hitter Chantale Riddle earned her 14th double-double of the season with 21 kills and 14 digs. She is 20 kills away from breaking the Mountain West record for career kills.

Hannah Johnson had 54 assists and 6 digs in the loss.

The Lobos sit at 18-12 (10-7 Mountain West) and host Air Force on Tuesday for senior night. Riddle and Elsa Krieg are the seniors to be honored.

Baseball

UNM signed 15 recruits during the early signing period.

Of the 15 recruits, four are from New Mexico. There are 14 high school players from seven states.

“This is one of the better recruiting classes in New Mexico history,” head coach Ray Birmingham said in a release. “I tip my hat to Coach (Ken) Jacome and his recruiting efforts. He has done a super job bringing in good talent. Now we just have to sweat losing some guys to the MLB Draft.”

Eight of the recruits are pitchers. Fernando Fernandez-Beltran is the only junior college transfer that signed with the Lobos. He came from New Mexico Junior College.

The other seven pitchers signed are: Austin Isenhart, Gage O’Brien, Peyton Remy, Donnie Sands, Austin Treadwell, Christian Tripp and Jaylyn Whitehead.

UNM also signed three outfielders, three infielders and one catcher. The three outfielders are Cole Anderson, Austin Bell and Erick Migueles.

Aaron Corral, Jared Mang and Jacob Westerman are the infielders. The lone catcher is Andrew Pratt from La Cueva High School.

The other three New Mexico natives besides Pratt are Bell, Mang and Treadwell.

Men’s golf

The New Mexico men’s golf team had four players sign letters of intent to play for the Lobos next fall.

UNM’s four newest golfers are Sean Carlon, Augustin Hole, Samuel Kim and Tiger Lee.

Carlon, an Albuquerque native, is a two-time state champion (2013-14).

Hole is ranked the No. 207 player in the World Amateur Golf Rankings. He’s from Cherbourg, France.

The National Junior Golf Scoreboard rankings have Kim as the No. 31st golfer. The Irvine, California, native placed fifth at the Toyota Tour Cup College Showcase in March.

Lee, from Howey in the Hills, Florida, is the No. 179th golfer in the National Junior Golf scoreboard.

Swimming and diving

The New Mexico women’s swimming team earned seventh place at the Mizzou invite with 227 points.

UNM’s 400-yard freestyle took ninth place with a time of 3:25.88.

Celine Bertrand finished in ninth place, clocking in at 2:03.33.

Missouri took first with 1,118 points, FIU was second with 586 points and Nebraska was third with 513 points.

Diver Aundrea Scott was the only diver that placed. She finished 22nd in the women’s platform event with 151.20 points.

~ Compiled by Thomas Romero-Salas