Sixth sweep running for UNM cross country

For the women, it was their seventh-straight MW title, while the men won their sixth successive championship.

“It was an amazing day,” New Mexico head coach Joe Franklin said in a release. “The women performed well. They did a great job, competed hard, had a great spread one to five and came out with the victory. The men’s performance was one of the better I’ve seen from a University of New Mexico team. They competed hard and ran as a group.”

The women knocked off No. 23 Boise State 33-58 in the low-score-wins format. The men dispatched second-place Air Force 26-73.

UNM now has the fourth-longest streak of conference title sweeps in Division I history. Iona College holds the record for most consecutive sweeps, with its current streak of 10 straight sweeps.

The men and women each had five runners place in the top 10, becoming the third team in conference history to accomplish the feat.

Alice Wright had the highest finish for the women, placing fourth with a time of 20 minutes, 21.20 seconds. Calli Thackery was fifth (20:26.70), Charlotte Arter sixth (20:42.60), Nicole Roberts eighth (20:48.50) and Amber Zimmerman 10th (20.49.50).

The men’s top runner was Jake Shelley, who finished third in 23:43.10. Alex Cornwell placed fourth (23:44.00), Ross Matheson fifth (23:47.90), Matt Bergin sixth (23:48.70) and Dan Studley was eighth (23:51.30).

Franklin earned his seventh-straight MW Women’s Coach of the Year and his fourth consecutive MW Men’s Coach of the Year award. He has the most Women’s Coach of the Year honors in Mountain West history.

The Daily Lobo Sports Desk can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@DailyLoboSports.