Cheap gas threatens the state's economy

U.S. Sens. John Barrasso, R-Wyoming, and Martin Heinrich, D-New Mexico, introduced legislation to congress known as the LNG Permitting Certainty and Transparency Act that strives to increase and expedite U.S. exports of liquefied natural gas.

Some of the benefits of promoting the bill consist of the creation of jobs, reduction of trade deficit, and an increase in energy security within the United States and amongst the country’s allies.

Liquefied natural gas is the transformation of natural gas into liquid form so that it may be transported easily to countries in need of the resources. Once the gas has been converted to liquid form, it occupies much less space than in its original form and can be transported far distances with greater ease. This is especially critical for regions that are located far away from areas of gas production. The bipartisan bill introduced will speed up the approval process of the exportation of these LNG’s, increasing the efficiency of the transportation of these resources.

The Heinrich-supported bill aims to improve an inefficient system and the implications of the bill are particularly influential for both the economy and the environment of New Mexico. While Heinrich explains that natural gas is more environmentally friendly than most other forms of fossil fuels, the exportation of the natural gas implies increased drilling within New Mexico.

Throughout New Mexico, oil and gas drilling threatens state lands. Protected areas such as Chaco Canyon are in danger of environmental damage resulting from the extraction of natural gas. Although profits from oil and gas in New Mexico provide jobs and support the economy, they are not sustainable and threaten the beautiful, unique landscapes and historical sites that the state of New Mexico possesses.

With the New Mexico economy largely dependent on the production and exportation of natural gas, Heinrich aims to keep the economy healthy by supporting efforts to increase the efficiency of the process. With the recent fall in the price of crude oil by more than $50 per barrel, decreased prices at the pump mark a difficult time for the economy of New Mexico.

Heinrich has made a large impact on environmental conservation within New Mexico, supporting the designation of the Colombine Hondo Wilderness area in northern New Mexico and advocating the value of time spent in the wilderness with his son. Heinrich’s platform generally represents a concern for the well-being of the environment but when confronting the contrasting issues of economic success and environmental health, Heinrich finds himself in a difficult position.

Heinrich stands on a slippery slope, facing the decision of promoting the oil and gas industry to boost the economy at the cost of detrimental environmental impacts. Support of the bill by the environmentally conscious New Mexico senator outlines the contradiction that plagues the progress of environmental conservation in the face of a thriving economy in a developing world.

Stephanie Mladinich is the president of UNM Wilderness Alliance.