Sneakers suit VIPs' call for cancer awareness

Gov. Susana Martinez and state lawmakers wore sneakers with their dress clothes to the Roundhouse to show their support for the nationwide event.

The campaign is a collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches to raise awareness about the fight against cancer, communicate the importance of good nutrition and exercise and promote the ACS, according to their website. During this week, basketball coaches and their staff wore sneakers with their suits while coaching games.

“The sneakers worn with suits are the symbolism used for TV games to help with national exposure,” said Matt Ensor, assistant communications director for men’s basketball. “The initiative is done by coaching staffs throughout the country at all levels (NCAA Division I, Division II, Division III and NAIA).”

Fundraising for the American Cancer Society through the Coaches vs. Cancer program is done during other events as well, including galas and golf tournaments. UNM’s Coaches vs. Cancer program has been active since 2005 and has raised more than $1 million to benefit the ACS, according to the ACS website.

Neal is an active member of the program. Among other initiatives, he participates in a golf tournament hosted by Lon Kruger, the University of Oklahoma’s head basketball coach, in Las Vegas every summer, Ensor said.

Since its inception in 1993, Coaches vs. Cancer has raised more than $87 million nationwide to support ACS’s mission, their website read.

This year Martinez announced during a legislative session regarding cancer research that she would donate $10,000 to UNM basketball player Hugh Greenwood’s “The Pink Pack” charity. He founded the charity in honor of his mother, who is batting breast cancer for a second time, and its proceeds go to the UNM Cancer Center.

Marielle Dent is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. You can reach her at mdent@unm.edu or on Twitter 
@Marielle_Dent.