Campus briefs for Jan. 22, 2015

Student strikes UNM employee in the face

On Jan. 8, UNM Police Department was dispatched to an area near Redondo East and Redondo Court in reference to battery. According to the report, a UNM employee approached three subjects, including a UNM student, on skateboards. The employee asked the subjects to stop doing tricks on their skateboards in order to avoid damage to UNM property. Two of the subjects, including the UNM student, disregarded the UNM employee and started cursing at him. The employee told them he was going to call police if they did not leave. The student continued to perform tricks and skateboarded toward the teacher, striking him in the face with his forearm as he passed him. UNMPD reported that the student was argumentative and disrespectful while officers interviewed him. The teacher refused to have charges filed on the student.

Credit card stolen, used at dollar store

On Jan. 8, UNMPD was dispatched to Logan Hall in reference to larceny and fraudulent use of a credit card. According to the report, a student left her backpack in a secured room in the building at about 1 p.m. When she returned after class at about 2:30 p.m., she found the room was open and her backpack, including her laptop, cell phone and credit card, was gone. Her bank reported that someone attempted to use her credit card at dollar stores in the amount of about $90 and $169, but was refused. A clerk at one store location confirmed to UNMPD that a Hispanic man in his 20s and a woman around 30 years old with a young child had attempted to use the card. UNMPD will attempt to collect video surveillance from the store for evidence.

$3,700 in tools taken from UNM

On Jan. 13, UNMPD was dispatched to UNM Physical Plant Department in reference to burglary. According to the report, sometime between about 4:30 p.m. and 6 a.m., the suspect took property from inside secured tool boxes that are attached to golf carts parked inside a fenced area. The total value of the items stolen is about $3,700. There are no witnesses or suspects at this time.

Credit card stolen, used at Garcia’s and Red Box

On Jan. 16, a UNM teaching assistant made a report with UNMPD in reference to larceny and fraudulent use of a credit card. According to the report, the victim left her office for a short time to make a copy at about 3 p.m. When she returned, her wallet was missing from her desk. At 4:26 p.m., she received an email from her bank reporting that her card was used to complete purchases at the Garcia’s restaurant inside the SUB, an unknown Smith’s grocery store and a Red Box DVD machine. The surveillance video from Garcia’s has not yet been reviewed.

Pipe confiscated from dorm

On Jan. 16, UNMPD was dispatched to Coronado Hall dorms in reference to possession of drug paraphernalia. According to the report, the resident assistant on duty smelled marijuana coming from a dorm. The resident of the dorm admitted to UNMPD that he had a pipe that he used to smoke marijuana and residue that he tapped out of the pipe into a garbage can before the officer arrived. UNMPD confiscated the pipe and placed it into evidence for destruction. The report will be forwarded to the Dean of Students for further review.

~ Complied by Erika Eddy