Film industry drives interest in media program

The Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media program has been gaining interest because of the growing movie industry in New Mexico and accomplished professors within the program.

Miguel Gandert, director of the IFDM program, said the program began in 2005 and was created because there was a need to start an above-the-line program.

The IFDM program has been gained interest steadily, and many upperclassmen and Central New Mexico Community College graduates are applying, he said. However, recruitment is heavily focused on high school students because it is a four-year program.

Around 150 students apply to IFDM every fall and only 50 percent are accepted, he said. The number of applicants has increased about 25 percent since 2011.

“We find there has been a lot of interest because of the industry. It’s a very romantic thing making movies, doing games and animating. It is very much ingrained in culture,” he said.

In terms of enrollment it has remained stable, however, only because of the limited space, he said. On the other hand, IFDM has collaborated with different departments at UNM, which has increased the number of electives by 35 percent.

IFDM senior Nicholas Nelson said he has seen a significant increase in the interest of the program.

The IFDM program is growing because of the booming movie industry in New Mexico and seasoned professors, he said. Most of the professors have worked in the industry, including some with Sony Imageworks and Pixar.

IFDM and CNM’s film program are helping students gain access to a once closed-off industry, he said.

“A lot of key positions are being filled by local cast and crew members. It has become really dominant now as far as New Mexicans picking up higher positions in cast and crew,” he said

Morgaine Adkin, also an IFDM senior, said she was drawn to the program because of the cohort system.

Similar to Nelson, Adkin said she thinks the students’ interest in film is due in large part to the professors. However, in general the IFDM program attracts many students because of the interdisciplinary aspect, she said. Students can branch into film, business, arts and gaming within the program.

“I do think a lot of people come into the program thinking that ‘oh its movies, it’s going to be great and glamorous’ and some of the classes are computer coding and quite a few students tend to drop out during those classes,” she said.

Even though New Mexico’s movie industry is expanding, Adkin said, she is planning to move out of state for a career because her interest in editing is not well established in the state, she said.

Lauren Marvin is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @LaurenMarvin.