Monica Daniels
Monica Daniels

Five & Why: What Lobos love with Monica Daniels

“I used to watch it with my family. I grew up with it. It makes me really happy whenever I watch it because it’s just fun to watch. The first one’s my favorite because it isn’t too dark; it’s overall upbeat. I like happy movies. My favorite part is the chess scene because it’s surprising to see little kids having to go through all of that. It’s magical.”

“I love Toothless. He’s adorable, and he reminds me of a nicer version of my cat, Fuz. It’s a story about how someone can change everyone around them, and a story of friendship. It’s just really cute. I like the animation because they can capture certain expressions and make you feel a certain way without having to force it on you. In some movies, (the animators) will openly try to get you to feel a certain way, but in ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ you just feel the love.”

“This one I’m kind of forced into loving by my friend. The characters are fantastic, and I personally like it more than the first one. I like it more because it gives a backstory, and it’s just more fun to watch. You get to see how the characters develop through time. My favorite character is Art. He’s just super spastic and it’s fun to watch him. My friends and I constantly say the (lines) that he has, and it’s kind of weird but fun. I can relate to Art because he’s just weird.”

“It’s another happy movie. There’s adventure and a relationship gets fixed because of (that adventure). I like how it was just a single dad and a son. It’s a different dynamic than a lot of movies. They get a new best friend, but it’s not a romantic best friend. In almost every movie, there is some kind of romantic situation that is just kind of put in there to make it seem more relatable, even though it’s not, so just having Dory in there as a friend is a nice change.”

“I just love ‘Halloweentown.’ It was the only movie that I was allowed to stay up to watch when I was a little kid. I really like witches, so it’s kind of a thing because of the way I grew up, and my (Wiccan) religion. I’ve always been interested in witches. I just like it. I also like the broad range of characters. In ‘Halloweentown’ there are witches, the skeleton driver, different types of monsters and they’re all generally rather nice and they get along really well. My favorite part is how the main character finds out that she’s a witch. She’s magical, and she comes to accept it and like it.”

Skylar Griego is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.