Men's soccer: Midfielder departs for the pro leagues

Last week McKendry signed a Homegrown Player contract with the Vancouver Whitecaps, and will thus forgo his senior season with the UNM men’s soccer team to join the MLS.

According to MLS rules, a club may sign a player to his first professional contract without subjecting him to the SuperDraft if the player has trained for one year in the club’s youth development program and has trained 80 days with the academy.

McKendry fits within the HGP Rule after he joined the Whitecaps FC youth set-up in 2007 and spent five years in their Residency Program, including the 2012 U.S. Soccer Development Academy Championship final.

UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein said that although the Lobos will miss McKendry next season, Fishbein is excited for him.

“He got offered a great contract with a two-year guarantee,” Fishbein said. “For a professional athlete it’s hard to even get a one-year guarantee. It’s extremely hard to pass on an opportunity like that.”

During his career as a Lobo McKendry was named First-Team All-Conference USA as a sophomore. As a junior McKendry received Second-Team All-American honors and led UNM to the College Cup Final Four in 2013.

In a statement, Whitecaps head coach Carl Robinson described McKendry as a “talented young central midfielder who has earned this opportunity.” He credited both McKendry and the UNM coaching staff.

“We’re thrilled to add another local talent who has not only come through our Residency program, but who calls Vancouver home,” Robison said.

McKendry said he grew up watching the Whitecaps and was “extremely excited” when he was offered an opportunity to join the team. But he also had mixed feelings about leaving New Mexico.

“I am extremely thankful for my time in New Mexico,” he said. “I was so fortunate to be surrounded by great teammates and coaches. Albuquerque will always be a special place to me.”

McKendry began preseason workouts last week and today he will travel with the Whitecaps to Tucson, Arizona for training and preseason friendlies.

“You just have to be patient,” he said. “You have to remember how lucky you are to be a professional athlete.”

So far, four Lobos, including McKendry, from this past season are taking part in this year’s MLS preseason. Oniel Fisher was drafted by the Seattle Sounders, James Rogers was taken by Sporting Kansas City, and last week Nick Miele received an invitation from the Chicago Fire to take part in preseason camp.

Riley McGovern has potential to become another Lobo to join the professional ranks. He is currently taking part in the LA Galaxy II open tryouts. More than 200 players attended, but only two will be selected.

“I think I’ve played well so far. In a couple weeks I will be trying out in Oklahoma City,” McGovern said. “I’m just trying to do as many tryouts as possible to get my name out there.”

Isabel Gonzalez is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @cisabelg.