Women's basketball: Height isn't everything

Nevada’s Mimi Mungedi, listed at 6’8”, is among the biggest players in the conference, and will look for success against UNM’s interior defense as the Lobos play host to the Wolf Pack. UNM is the hottest team in the Mountain West of late, riding a six-game winning streak and having won its past nine home games, while Nevada is coming off its first win in nine games.

Head coach Yvonne Sanchez said the Lobos will need to keep Mungedi in check in order to come out on top in Saturday’s game.

“She’s a nice player,” Sanchez said. “Their whole game — I mean, they have some shooters — but they want to lob it to that kid, and we’ve got to make sure we’re strong in the paint.”

During UNM’s hot streak the Lobos have found success by not letting a single player dominate the game, as well as holding opponents below their average scoring marks.

However, this will be the first team the Lobos take on that focuses on its true center.

Mungedi is Nevada’s leading scorer and rebounder, averaging 12.6 points and 9.3 rebounds per contest. Sanchez said she has confidence that all of her forwards can get the job done against the tall senior.

“It’s not just going to be a one-on-one battle in the post,” Sanchez said. “It’s going to take everybody.”

Junior forwards Alexa Chavez and Khadijah Shumpert will likely get the starting bid against Mungedi, but sophomore forward Kianna Keller, who is 6’4”, will likely provide defensive relief against the Mountain West leader in rebounds. Mungedi has pulled down 205 boards this season.

“It’s going to be physical,” Chavez said. “We’re just going to have to be even more physical than her.”

Offensively, Chavez said the Lobos are going to need the tall center to come off the block in order to find success down low. UNM will need its forwards to hit shots from the top of the key or find a way to get by Mungedi’s big-bodied presence.

“It’s going to be a bit different for us because we are used to pounding it in,” Shumpert said. “In the past we’ve been able to defend her very well even though we don’t have the height.”

A win in Saturday’s home game will keep UNM on track for a shot at the regular season title. The Lobos are now tied with Colorado State at 9-3 in the Mountain West after trouncing them 67-40 Wednesday.

Lobos Love Pink

Saturday’s contest against Nevada in WisePies Arena also marks the annual “Lobos Love Pink” breast cancer awareness game. The UNM Cancer Center, UNM Hospitals and UNM Athletics are the hosts of the annual event.

Fans are encouraged to wear pink, and a ceremony will honor breast cancer survivors at halftime.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the assistant sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Liam_CE.