Men's basketball: Rough season doesn't tarnish Greenwood's legacy, coach says

Greenwood’s legacy will not be defined by this season’s struggles, head coach Craig Neal said at a press conference on Thursday. When asked what Greenwood’s legacy would be, Neal gave a definitive answer: “Winner.”

Greenwood will have one more chance to go out a winner on the WisePies Arena floor when UNM hosts Wyoming in both teams’ regular season finale on Saturday.

“I think you’re dealing with a kid who’s done more for our program as a player — he’s going to graduate on time, he’s going to play professionally when he’s done,” Neal said. “What he’s bought into, what he’s sacrificed, what he’s done in the community; I don’t know if there’s anybody that’s done that since we’ve been here.”

Greenwood has led the Lobos to three consecutive Mountain West Conference tournament titles along with an unblemished record in Las Vegas during tournament time (9-0).

Greenwood is 22 points away from becoming the 33rd member of the UNM’s 1,000-point club. He could also be the 17th player in UNM history with 1,000 points and 500 rebounds. He sits 10th in assists (366) and three-pointers (181), along with 17th in rebounds (607).

“It’s going to be a bittersweet feeling,” Greenwood said. “Four years has really gone quick, and it’s going to be an emotional time, that’s for sure — walking up and down the ramp for the last time and playing in front of the fans for the last time. But I’m looking forward to moving on to bigger and, hopefully, better things, but at the same time, UNM is always going to have a pretty big spot in my heart, that’s for sure.”

Fellow senior guard Deshawn Delaney will also be waving goodbye to the New Mexico faithful. He joined the team last year and contributed to the Lobos’ run back to the tournament title

“It’s going to be fun, but kind of sad at the same time,” Delaney said. “It’s going to be my last time walking down this ramp with a great group of guys that I’ve been playing with the past few years.”

Greenwood and Delaney will both have some special guests in the stands for Saturday’s game. Greenwood will have his mother, father, sister, grandmother, aunt and many others. Delaney will play in front of his biggest fan — his son — along with his mother and his high school coach.

Following the game, there will be a special seniors’ ceremony honoring Greenwood and Delaney along with two senior managers, Ryan Berryman and Matthew Singleton.

The Lobos will face a tough contest against the fourth-place Cowboys in the final game of the regular season. The last time the two teams met, the game was an overtime thriller in Laramie, Wyoming where a couple of late Lobo mistakes doomed UNM on the road, 63-62.

Wyoming is led by potential Mountain West Player of the Year Larry Nance, Jr. He is averaging 17.4 points per game in conference play to go along with 8.6 rebounds per game.

Nance had an impressive night last time out against the Lobos, scoring a game-high 23 points and connecting on 11 of 13 attempts at the free throw line.

Kyle Tomasi is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @KyTo22.