Skiing: Close losing scores cost team the podium

UNM finished in 5th on Saturday, ending the season with 402 points. The University of Colorado took home the national title with 505 points.

In her final race as a Lobo, senior Mateja Robnik facilitated an All-American bid as she finished eighth in the giant slalom. Robnik took the All-American stand with a combined time of 1:58.70. The two totals edged Mary Sackbauer from Middlebury College by just .04 seconds, for the final spot on the All-American team.

Robnik is not new to the All-American squad, as this year’s honors were her fourth overall and third in the slalom. Robnik joins Agnetha Hjorth and Malin Hemmingsson in an elite class of New Mexico history. The three are the only women in school history to have taken three All-Americans in the slalom.

Sophomore Sydney Staples generated a sound performance in the women’s alpine race as well, just missing out on All-American honors. Staples’ second-run time of 59.02 was good enough for eighth, but the combined total gave the Utah native 11th place overall.

New Mexico’s women’s ski team was not solely successful in the downhill races. Newcomer Emilie Cedervaern took first place on day two of the women’s national championship cross country stage. The junior from Sweden surpassed the University of Utah’s Veronika Mayerhofer, snagging 40 points for her team with just 1.5 seconds to spare.

Despite a lot of top finishes from New Mexico’s women, UNM didn’t crown a single All-American. Graduates Christian Otto and Mats Rudin Resaland were the only top-15 finishers in the 20-kilometer race. The 13 and 14 finishes were the best for any of the men’s races.

UNM’s alpine team only put together 19 points, 13 coming from junior Carl-Johan Oster, also a newcomer from Sweden. Oster’s 18th-place finish and senior Sean Horner’s 25th-place bid were the only two scorers from the men’s alpine.

The Daily Lobo sports desk can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLoboSports.