Sports briefs for March 16, 2015

Track and Field

UNM tied for 31st in the 2015 NCAA Track and Field Championships on Saturday in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Lobo runners Sammy Silva, Allan Hamilton and Adam Bitchell accepted All-American honors on the weekend.

Silva’s 4:35.44 mile time garnered a sixth-place finish, which marked the seventh female indoor All-American athlete in program history.

Bitchell made his presence felt among the long-distance runners with his 8:02.72 time in the 3000-meter race. The senior also finished six amongst the nation’s best in his final meet in a Lobo uniform.

Hamilton’s All-American performance also merited a sixth-place finish. The junior long jumper leaped 25 feet, 4¾ inches on his first attempt on Friday. Although the Scotland Native could not improve on the mark for the remainder of the day, his first jump granted him All-American status.

UNM was the only Mountain West team with points on the board, as the men finished with six and the women with three.

Softball

New Mexico took four of five games in the College of Charleston Invitational in South Carolina this weekend.

The Lobos (16-12) matched last year’s number of victories on the 16-36 record a year ago. Sunday morning’s 3-1 victory came on a dominant pitching performance from sophomore Krissy Fortner.

Fortner, listed as UNM’s closer, pitched her first complete game of her career. Her 2.41 ERA is the lowest on the squad, and she holds each of the team’s four saves.

Senior right fielder Brandi Heimburg, freshman catcher Chelsea Johnson and redshirt junior Karissa Haleman each accounted for one RBI in the final game of the invitational.

Baseball

After winning the first game against Nevada, the Lobos dropped the remaining two on the road against the Wolf Pack.

In Sunday’s 9-2 rubber match loss, UNM struggled from the mound, going through seven pitchers and allowing 9 earned runs. New Mexico starting freshman Tyler Stevens faced 12 batters in two innings, allowing two runs on five hits.

Redshirt junior pitcher Victor Sanchez had a forgettable outing during Sunday’s contest, not recording a single out while giving up three runs and five hits.

Dropping two of three to Nevada is the first series loss the Lobos have endured all season. UNM’s conference record has now fallen to 5-4 and the team is 11-6 overall.