Softball: Strong team starts MW

Head softball coach Erica Beach said hitting has been a strong point for the Lobos all season, but the pitching staff gives New Mexico a new dimension to have confidence in as the squad enters Mountain West play against Utah State today.

“For our pitchers to have really been hitting their stride right now is something that we’ve needed,” Beach said. “We’re looking forward to seeing what they can do in conference.”

The consistency the team has shown thus far in the season is comforting at the start of conference play, she said.

“Anybody can beat you on any given day. It doesn’t matter what your record is going into conference,” she said. “We call this the second season.”

Utah State has gone 8-17 in non-conference play. Despite the Aggies’ sub-.500 record, Beach said the Lobos (16-12) must be on guard because anything can happen against Mountain West opponents.

Junior outfielder Mariah Rimmer said the team is not going to approach games within the Mountain West any differently. She said maintaining focus and not trying to change things is going to be key.

“Conference is more, so going in with the same mindset you’ve had at the beginning of the season and playing the game you know how to play,” Rimmer said.

Sophomore closer Krissy Fortner said she expects her team to come out of the conference gates with a winning attitude.

“My expectations are 3-0 this weekend,” Fortner said. “We want to start out conference winning.”

Fortner was the only Lobo pitcher elected to the All-Tournament team at the Charleston Classic last weekend. Fortner won the award following her first complete game: a 3-1 victory over Wisconsin on the tournament’s final day.

In 10 2/3 innings pitched, Fortner gathered eight strikeouts and a 1.31 ERA. Opposing hitters only had a .194 batting average against her. Fortner received the accolade after collecting her third win of the season in her first start.

“It was really sort of like a mental switch for me,” Fortner said. “Closing games has been a very specific role that I have had all year ... Coming in for the start, I sort of had to have a different mindset.”

Sophomore Shelbie Franc joined Rimmer as the two outfielders were the only position players named to the All-Tournament squad. Rimmer drove in three runs, crossed home plate six times, and led the Lobos in hitting with a .474 average. Franc hit .412 on the weekend with five runs and three RBIs.

“It meant a lot because it means that I was able to produce for my team,” Rimmer said. “Being recognized for it is just a bonus.”

Rimmer said receiving the award came as a shock, as she didn’t expect to receive the accolade. However, Beach said she was not surprised by any of the players who made the All-Tournament team and thought several players were in contention to be recognized.

“I think we could have had six, honestly,” Beach said. “We had so many strong stats from this weekend.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the assistant sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@Liam_CE.