Deborah and Justin Coston watch as Mary Saunders forms a swan out of many intricate folds at the Explora Museum Wednesday Feb. 25, 2015. Saunders and Hollie Lovely, with funding from The Education Plan of New Mexico, put on writing workshops for K-3 children to kick start the students imaginative storytelling abilities.

PBS puts spotlight on childhood literacy

The PBS Kids writing workshops, offered through the month of March, feature an appearance by a local children’s book author and teach the basic elements of creating and organizing a story.

Hollie Lovely, PBS early childhood outreach coordinator, said she organizes the workshops to address literacy and reading proficiency in New Mexico.

A 2014 report on U.S. early reading proficiencies showed that in 2013, 79 percent of New Mexico fourth-graders were not reading proficiently. According to newmexicoliteracy.org, 20 percent of New Mexicans older than 16 are illiterate and another 26 percent are functionally illiterate.

“It’s important for us to foster any kind of endeavor that is going to improve our kids’ skills. It’s important to encourage a love of reading which will encourage a love of writing so that we can have a more literate society,” Lovely said.

Mary Saunders, author and illustrator of “Spread Your Wings and Fly: An Origami Fold-And-Tell,” said encouraging children to write increases imagination and opens up a world of possibilities. She said she uses origami as an interactive brainstorming technique for the children and recommends writing from the heart.

The most important aspect of becoming a good writer, Saunders said, is to read.

“It gives them a place to begin with no ending and builds their confidence,” she said.

Saunders has attended two out of the five workshops. She said her favorite part about participating in the workshops is sharing her passion for origami and her story.

As a former speech therapist, Saunders said she discovered a book titled “Fun Folds,” which inspired her to create her own origami book that demonstrates developing and working towards dreams through the art, she said.

Both Lovely and Saunders stressed the importance of reading throughout the workshop because it is the foundation of becoming a writer.

Lovely said she motivates kids to get creative in the writing process by encouraging them to share their unique thoughts and experiences.

Rana Abudayyeh, parent of a child who participated in the workshop, said the most interesting aspect of the writing workshop was how interactive and hands-on the experience was.

“I like how it appeals to the child’s age and understanding,” Abudayyeh said.

Khadijah Jacobs is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com.