Redshirt sophomore defensive end Dominic Twitty runs drills at the Tow Diehm complex for the Lobos spring practice on Wednesday morning.

Spring football: Practice brings defensive changes

UNM will shift from its base 3-4 defense to a 3-3-5 system in order to shore up its passing defense. The 3-3-5 is played with five defensive backs and just three linebackers, while the 3-4 has four defensive backs and four linebackers.

The Lobos ran the 3-4 defense for the past three seasons and ranked near the bottom of Division I football subdivision schools in passing over that span.

“I’m in no way changing from what we’ve done philosophically,” head coach Bob Davie said. “What we’re doing is changing body types on the field because we need coverage first out there. It’s a five-defensive-back scheme, but there’s really not much changed philosophically.”

Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said the change was necessary because of who the Lobos face this season. Most of UNM’s opponents in 2015 will run a variation of the spread, no-huddle offense.

“Everybody we play is spread, no-huddle, so we have to get more speed on the field,” Cosgrove said. “In third-down situations, we will add even more speed to it. That was the biggest reason, just to match up base.”

However, by replacing a linebacker with a defensive back, UNM may hurt its run defense in the process. One less linebacker means opponents may settle to run the football and exploit the five-defensive-back matchup. The Lobos finished 122nd nationally in rushing defense last season.

“There will be times that we’ll play with two tight ends and try to play power football,” Cosgrove said. “The way we start the season in the early part of the season is all spread offense no-huddle, so we’ve got to match personnel.”

One positive about the 3-3-5 defense is that UNM will have more blitz packages, Cosgrove said. The Lobos will implement more man blitzes instead of the numerous zone pressures that UNM implemented in past seasons.

“We’ll be able to do a little more now with having a nickel on the field,” Cosgrove said. “We’ll be able to put more man pressure than always having to be zone pressures. It gives us abilities to do a lot of different things.”

The extra defensive back in the 3-3-5 needs to be able to cover opposing receivers as well as be one of the better tacklers on the field. The defender will be involved in a multitude of blitzes in order to pressure the quarterback.

Cosgrove said redshirt freshman Ricky Bennett and junior Lee Crosby are two candidates for the potential fifth defensive back.

“We’re working on it right now,” Cosgrove said. “The unique thing about that position is that not only does it have to cover man and zone, it has to be a great blitzer too.”

Talking about practice

UNM will take to the practice fields in full pads for the first time this spring today.

The NCAA only allows eight live-contact practices over the 15 spring sessions. Of those eight practices, just three of them can include more than 50 percent contact.

“It will be a contact, but no tackling kind of day,” Davie said. “There are restrictions on days that you can actually tackle to the ground. It will be a full thud tempo. I think everyone is excited to do it.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.