Letter: Panel discussions and other events aid UNM's mission

Dear students,

Earlier this month the Muslim Student Association hosted a panel discussion about ISIS in the Student Union Building. This was not a “pro-ISIS” panel as some individuals have incorrectly suggested; if anything it was an “anti-ISIS” panel where panelists spoke against the atrocities committed by ISIS and the disconnect between their practices and the values and teachings of Islam. Here at UNM, our Mission states “educate and encourage students to develop the values, habits of mind, knowledge, and skills that they need to be enlightened citizens.” Merriam-Webster defines “enlightened” as “free from ignorance and misinformation” and “based on full comprehension of the problems involved.” Events and panel discussions similar to the one hosted by the Muslim Student Association allow us to engage and problem-solve with each other. They foster learning and a greater understanding of the challenges that we collectively face as a society. In conclusion, they promote the values and interests of higher education and UNM. In the words of the late Mahatma Gandhi, “Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.” Wishing all of you a strong finish to your semester.

Your dean,

Tomás A. Aguirre

UNM Dean of Students