Jordan Goodman attempts to catch a pass during the Lobos match against Utah State on Feb. 7 at WisePies Arena. UNM announced Wednesday that Goodman will transfer from UNM to be closer to his hometown of Temple Hills, Maryland.

Men's basketball: Goodman goes home

Neal said Goodman told him that he wanted to transfer during the team’s end-of-season meeting.

“We talked to him about it. He’s concerned about the health of his dad and it just didn’t work out here,” Neal said. “It’s his decision and he’s going to transfer. I’ve given him his release and we wish him the best. It just didn’t work out.”

Neal said he was surprised when Goodman, who will be a senior next year, told him he wanted to leave UNM. He added that Goodman made the choice all on his own.

“That was the decision that he made. We thought he would be here, but it was his decision,” Neal said. “I’m not going to keep anybody that doesn’t want to be here. He has to do what’s best for him and his family. I don’t know what he’s going to do. That’s yet to be determined.”

Goodman, who transferred to UNM last season from junior college, had an injury-riddled year in his lone season as a Lobo. He needed surgery when he came to UNM to deal with a knee issue, missed multiple games because of concussion-like symptoms and had to have season-ending surgery on his right ankle because of a bone spur.

“Our expectations were high for him but he couldn’t get over it because of the injuries,” Neal said. “He’s cleared to run a little bit. His rehab is going well. His knee is stronger. I just think he never had a fair shot at what he could be because he wasn’t healthy.” Goodman came to UNM to be the starting power forward for the Lobos but never started a game. He finished the season averaging 6.3 points per game and 2.3 rebounds per game in just 19 contests. The Lobos finished the season with a 15-16 overall record, losing 10 of their final 12 games.

Neal said losing Goodman won’t stop UNM from recruiting junior college players in the future. Former Lobo Deshawn Delaney, another junior college transfer, had a productive career at UNM before breaking his hand in practice to end his senior season.

“I have no problem recruiting junior college kids when we need them to fill a role,” Neal said. “I can see us taking a junior college player the next year or two that fits what we’re trying to do. I thought we did a good job fitting those guys in. It’s just a tough situation.”

With Goodman leaving UNM, the Lobos now have one scholarship available for the 2015-16 season. Neal said the player that UNM brings in to fill the scholarship will either be a freshman or a mid-season transfer, depending on what happens.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter

@ThomasRomeroS.