Letter: Groups like the Islamic State misrepresent claimed labels

UNM student Samuel Ryu’s Monday letter possesses some really ill logic. Is President Obama both a socialist and a secret Muslim? (He seems like more of a pragmatist and secret atheist to me?) How do Obama’s “secret Muslim beliefs” square with his strong support of human rights for women and gays? Is that all part of the conspiracy? How many infidels has the POTUS beheaded today?

The Grand Old White Party seems to have a terribly hard time understanding how the Islamic State isn’t Islamic. It’s right there in the name. It’s sort of how the Republican Party is oblivious to the fact that we live in a republic. On Tuesday, American “Christian” protesters demonstrated outside of the U.S. Supreme Court with signs like “Fags are Beasts,” “Fag is Sin,” and “Dirty Homo - Stop Sinning.”

Just as these American Christians or the Klu Klux Klan don’t represent the true teachings and lessons of Jesus Christ, the sociopaths in the Islamic State do not represent the true teachings and lessons of Islam. Is it really so difficult to comprehend some human beings are assholes, both Christian and Islamic? There is no such thing as Islamophobia because humans have rights; ideas like Scientology, Christianity or Islam do not.

Sincerely,

Brian Fejer

UNM Alumnus