Carlos Wiggins eludes a defender during the Lobos spring training April 8. at Tow Diehm Complex.

Receiver Carlos Wiggins grows from track and field

The New Mexico wide receiver combined to run only two races last indoor and outdoor track season and paid for it during football. In 2014, Wiggins missed several games because of a thigh bruise and hamstring issues. Wiggins finished with just 24 touches on the season.

This year, Wiggins competed in most of the indoor and track and field events, which he said helps him prepare for the long and grueling football season.

“It helps me stay healthy. Last year I didn’t run track, which I made a mistake not running track,” he said. “I got tight during games, and I started getting more hurt. This year I’ve been running track and helping me stay loose, so track has been good for me.”

Wiggins has not only put more of an emphasis in track but has also made a switch on the football field. The senior has made the transition from slot receiver to outside receiver this spring.

Over his three-year career, Wiggins has caught just 24 balls for 327 yards and three touchdowns.

“Using Carlos outside at the wide receiver position really helps him because he’s so sudden off the ball and he gets down field,” head coach Bob Davie said. “He’ll play a little bit of slot, but it looks like going in, he’s going to be a guy outside that can do something for us.”

Wiggins will still line up in the slot from time to time for a jet sweep or a misdirection play. He said the switch from inside to outside receiver isn’t that big of a change.

“It’s not too big of an adjustment. It’s almost less complicated,” Wiggins said. “Inside you got more people to worry about; outside it’s just me and the corner to worry about. It leaves me outside more one-on-one with more opportunities.”

Another way UNM will look to give Wiggins more chances with the football is with kick returns. Wiggins led the nation with 1,303 kick return and yards and three touchdowns in 2013. He was also named Mountain West Special Teams Player of the Year for his efforts that season.

In the regular-season finale against Wyoming last year, Wiggins demonstrated his kickoff return skills with 97-yard kickoff return for a score that sealed the game for UNM.

“I feel very dynamic. That’s my baby. My first love when I came here,” he said. “Kick return is just my second nature, and I love it.”

Wiggins might be adding punt return to his repertoire of skills this upcoming season. He and several other players are candidates to take over punt return duties.

UNM averaged just 5.07 yards per punt return last season, ranking 107th in the nation. Wiggins has never returned a punt in his career.

“He’ll be returning kickoffs for sure, and he’s in the running to return punts for sure,” Davie said. “Carlos was back there and he did a good job with is opportunities. He’s definitely in the mix to be our punt returner as well.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.