The Lobos celebrates a home run on April 14 at the Lobo Field. UNM plays against Nevada on Friday at 6 p.m.

Close losses still plaguing Lobos

UNM is just 7-13 in games decided by two runs or less. Head coach Ray Birmingham said losing in close contests is not something that can be credited to a single problem.

“It’s not one thing. It’s a lot of things,” Birmingham said. “But when you have a young team, that happens.”

The Lobos were swept by Wichita State (17-26) last weekend by no more than two runs. UNM’s freshman third baseman Carl Stajduhar said the squad’s mental errors cost UNM in each game against the Shockers.

“That’s baseball. You’re going to have some of those games,” Stajduhar said. “We’ll be on the winning end of those games too.”

The freshman has been hitting lights out at the plate, currently riding a 13-game hit-streak. The third baseman is hitting .473 (26 for 55) with 19 RBIs during that stretch.

“I’m just out there playing baseball and enjoying my time,” Strajduhar said. “I’m just doing the best I can.”

Birmingham said the Lobos will need to rely on some of the young talent that has been aiding the Lobos throughout the season.

“We have a lot of freshmen,” Birmingham said. “We have a lot of young kids who are very, very good.”

Strajduhar is not the only standout first-year player Birmingham has utilized. Right-handed starting pitcher Tyler Stevens is leading the league with a 2.72 ERA in his first year of collegiate play. Freshman catcher Cory Voss is hitting for a .366 average, good enough for fourth best in the Mountain West.

UNM is currently three games behind first place Nevada (33-11, 18-6 MW). The Lobos (24-19, 13-8 MW) will play host to the visiting Wolf Pack this weekend in a three-game stand. Birmingham said by winning the series, UNM will be in good shape to hoist the regular season conference trophy for the fourth straight season. The Lobos have won either the regular season or tournament title the past five years.

“Nobody does it six years in a row. We’re trying to be that team that does it six years in a row,” Birmingham said. “I think we can still pull it off.”

Birmingham said UNM will have to play solid baseball without mental mistakes for all nine innings in each game if the Lobos want a shot to take two of three from Nevada this weekend.

However, Birmingham said the Lobos’ difficult schedule will prove to be advantageous in the final stretch of the regular season. UNM’s schedule was ranked fifth toughest in the nation in preseason, but tough losses have not given UNM much of a boost to its 88th ranked RPI.

Nevada is currently has the 58th best RPI in the nation, but Birmingham said the Wolf Pack’s schedule has not proven the team’s worth. Regardless of what team wins the regular season, Birmingham said the Mountain West will be represented by whoever wins the tournament.

“The Mountain West is going to be about the tournament,” Birmingham said. “I think they are prime for an upset, I really do.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.