Daily Lobo Editor in Chief Jyllian Roach delivers the report at the Student Publications Board meeting on Friday. Roach got selected to the editor-in-chief position at the Daily Lobo for 2015-16.

Daily Lobo's editor-in-chief reappointed

Jyllian Roach to resume newspaper's top position for another year

Roach will be the first editor in almost a century to serve two consecutive full school years, according to the publication board’s website. Ernest Hammond was co-editor with Clyde Morris for the 1918-19 school year after serving in the position from 1917-18.

Robert Trapp, managing editor of the Rio Grande Sun and a member of the board, said he wanted more people to apply for the position. While he hopes Roach encourages people to do so next spring, he would also like her to improve one aspect of the paper in particular.

“I hope she can improve the news product, I’m dissatisfied with (it),” he said.

Sophie Martin, an instructor at the Anderson School of Management and another board member, said that she would like to see the paper become more progressive with how news is accessed, citing the general shift in journalist from newspapers to digital news.

“Given the major changes happening in the media landscape, I think one of the best things that Jyllian can bring to the Lobo is a stable platform that the staff can use to explore new modes of communication and ways of getting the news to the readers. I’m excited to see that exploration towards potentially a new Lobo,” she said.

Roach’s experience from this year negates any need for a transition period at the Lobo, something that she said will be an advantage.

“It means that I won’t have to worry about learning the ropes, like I did last year,” she said.“I already know what to expect and what’s coming and I think that that’s going to make a huge difference.”

Among the things that Daily Lobo readers can expect next year are more special edition issues. The publication experimented with special editions for the first time this semester with the Geek Issue and the Green Issue on Monday, and Roach plans to move forward with one every month starting in June.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to facets of the Daily Lobo that Roach wants to improve on.

“There are a lot of things that I accomplished in the last year that aren’t done yet, that I still want to move forward on. And there are some other areas where I think we have worried about less and I’d like to start worrying about those more,” she said.

At the end of the day for Roach, the main issue she sees facing the paper don’t have to do with the paper at all, but rather those working to put it out on a daily basis.

“The biggest problem I would say is... all of us to (striking) that balance between putting out a stellar product and still passing our classes,” she said. “Unfortunately I don’t think that’s something that will ever change.”

David Lynch is a staff reporter at The Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@RealDavidLynch.