Column: Seven things I will miss about New Mexico

1. Sunsets

I am obsessed with the spectacular colors of the Sandia Mountains at sunset. Other students post drunken photos of themselves at Lobo basketball games or the amount of green chile they now love to eat. All I post are photos of the amazing skies, which so many locals have come to take for granted.

2. Old Town

Every time I go to Old Town, I feel like I have stepped into a Western movie set where cowboys can be seen riding horseback. If I am not stepping into the quirky art galleries and shops, I am buying the sugary fake blue meth so I can feel a part of “Breaking Bad.”

3. Hikes

The “mountains” in England are miniature hills where a Yorkshire terrier dog can find a tennis ball and bring it back in seconds. The hills in New Mexico are quite different. Despite the altitude being almost lethal, I could spend every Sunday hiking the mountains. It never failed to amaze me how much of New Mexico is visible from the top.

4. Theatre

As a naive British person, I originally thought Albuquerque would not have a strong theatre community, especially coming from London. However, as an English and theatre major, I have witnessed and even became involved in many brilliant productions at UNM. So many students have been shocked that Popejoy incorporates plays and not just music. If you haven’t seen anything yet, I highly recommend “Our Town” at Popejoy or Joe Alberti’s “In the Next Room” at the Vortex Theatre.

5. Movie Industry

Just as theatre is popular, so is the film industry. Hugely popular movies such as “The Avengers,” “Due Date,” “Little Miss Sunshine” and “True Grit” have all been filmed in New Mexico. Currently, shows like “Better Call Saul” and Tina Fey’s new comedy show “Taliban Shuffle” are being filmed. While it’s all here, get involved. They always need extras.

6. Location

Although I regularly complain about the public transport, if I owned a car in Albuquerque I would make the most of it. I never realized before how Albuquerque leads to some great places. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Nevada and Denver are only six to seven hours away; San Diego and Los Angeles are only 11 hours. While at first those hours seemed daunting, as everything in England is about three hours away, now I realize that drive is nothing with friends.

7. Green Chile

I thought it was disgusting, overrated and something that couldn’t be put on everything ... Oh, how wrong I was.

So thank you to everyone who made my experience here unforgettable!

Sophie Earle is a columnist for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.