Baseball: Season comes to a heartbreaking close

The Lobos had won either the MW regular season or tournament title the past five seasons, but that run ended with a 6-4 loss to San Diego State in the title game of the MW tournament in Reno, Nevada.

UNM, which finished fourth in the regular season, lost a chance to win the MW tournament title when the Lobos were blown out by the second-seeded Aztecs 11-1. SDSU has now won the last three MW tourney championships.

“When we go on the bus that night (after the first game loss), I said we have them right where we want them,” SDSU head coach Mark Martinez said in a release. “Our guys responded. We got after it offensively.”

The Lobos did bring the game-winning run to the plate in the ninth inning. After catcher Cory Voss singled and third baseman Carl Stajduhar walked, first baseman Jack Zoellner went up to bat with two on and two men out.

However, Zoellner, who went 2-3 on the day, was unable to do anymore damage and flew out to center field to end the Lobos rally attempt and the game.

UNM had a couple of brief leads in the championship game. The Lobos took a 2-1 edge in the second inning thanks to a two-run home run by Zoellner.

SDSU tied the game the next inning with an RBI single from outfielder Spencer Thornton. In the fifth inning, the Aztecs took a 3-2 lead with a one-run single by outfielder Seby Zavala.

The Lobos (32-27) responded with two runs in the sixth inning for a 4-3 advantage. UNM’s lead didn’t last long as SDSU scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning for a 5-4 edge.

The Aztecs (40-21) added an insurance run in the eighth inning thanks to an RBI single from infielder Danny Sheehan for the final score of 6-4.

Stajduhar, Zoellner, catcher Lane Milligan and pitcher Carson Schneider were named to the Mountain West All-tournament team.

The Lobos dominated their first three games in the tourney by outscoring their opponents 36-6. UNM defeated Air Force 14-1 in its first game of the tournament, then beat No. 14 Nevada 14-4 in its second game and reached the championship game by blowing out Fresno State 9-1.

Mountain West honors

Five Lobos were honored with All-Mountain West nods, the league announced on Wednesday.

Catcher Cory Voss was named the Mountain West’s Co-Freshman of the Year along with Nevada’s Cal Stevenson.

Pitcher Toller Boardman was named to the first team along with outfielder Danny Collier. Zoellner and third baseman Carl Stajduhar were selected to the second team.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports
@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@ThomasRomeroS.