Briana Hillard

Briana Hillard

Briana Hillard: Sorority sister loved all

Briana Hillard started her college career at UNM in August 2011, having graduated from Sandia High School in May earlier that year.

“Briana was the third generation of our family to attend UNM; however, no one in our family loved UNM more than our dear daughter, Briana,” said Michael Hillard, Briana’s father and, until recently, a psychology professor at UNM for a quarter century. “She was extremely active in her sorority and participated in numerous campus activities. Her entire adult life, as it turned out, was deeply involved with campus life.”

Marina Hillard, Briana’s mother and herself a UNM graduate, said Briana majored in business administration at the Anderson School of Management, with a minor in psychology. Briana had also been in the Pi-Beta-Phi sorority since her freshman year. She never missed an opportunity to volunteer and get involved around campus with the sorority, Marina Hillard said.

“She not only loved life, but she really loved UNM,” she said. “She took everyone in, embraced everyone.”

Briana had many friends on and off campus, and especially loved music, from country to hip-hop.

“Briana loved music so much she performed in Greek Spring two years in a row during her stay,” Marina Hillard said. “It was fun to see her up on stage.”

Michael Hillard said Briana’s time at UNM deeply influenced his daughter.

“She made dear friends and became an independent young woman here at UNM. She loved her family and friends and was a peaceful, kind, gentle soul,” he said. “I do not ever recall her saying anything even the least bit negative about anyone.”

A quote on Briana’s Pinterest page displays the kind of person she was and how she lived: “Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress. Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.”

On graduation day, Briana’s mother and friends will be handing out pink leis to honor her memory. Many of Briana’s friends will be wearing pink leis at graduation, and anyone who wants to join in can get one outside WisePies Arena beforehand.

Marina and Michael Hilliard said they are grateful for the University’s efforts and initiative to award a posthumous degree to their daughter.

“The UNM community has really come together on her behalf. The posthumous degree is so deeply appreciated and honors her deep affection for the school,” he said. “We hope all of the graduates remember Matt and Briana as they pursue their goals.”

Matthew Reisen is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.