Letter: Safety for Indian students is in jeopardy throughout US

What do the following international graduate students from India in the United States have in common: Chandrasekhar Reddy Komma and Kiran Kumar Allam, both of Louisiana State University; Randhir Kaur of University of California, San Francisco; Sai Kiran of Miami Atlantic University?

They were all innocently going about their business, working hard pursuing advanced degrees, and were murdered.

When is the FBI going to show us corresponding statistics so that Indian-American human rights lawyers can look for commonalities in motivation on the part of any and all predators who prey on nerdy Indian students in this heinous manner? When is American law enforcement going to put the above killings together with the many killings of Indian store clerks in this country, and put together a specialized task force to hasten the curiously lax investigations after such murders? When is the Department of Justice going to examine anti-Indian racism in the local police where such crimes happen?

Meanwhile, a word of advice to Indian students coming over here: A lot of these hoodlums pick up on your Indian accent. In New Mexico, where so many Indians can pass as Latino on the street, the accent is what is different. Take a class on accent reduction. It could save your life.

Sincerely,

Arun Anand Ahuja

UNM student