Group of students cheers for Lobos on the game against Wyoming in March 7. UNM mens and womens basketball games topped attendance in the 2014 Mountain West this past season.

Basketball: Lobos howl above the rest

New Mexico fans turn out for their Lobos.

For the 16th consecutive year, New Mexico fans have topped the Mountain West for attendance in both men and women’s basketball. It is the 49th straight year that UNM’s fan base scaled the top-25 plateau for attendance at men’s basketball games.

“I’m not surprised at all,” New Mexico Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs said. “I truly believe we have the best fans in the country.”

Despite enduring one of the longest losing streaks in the history of the men’s basketball program, the Lobos averaged 14,571 fans per contest at WisePies Arena, aka The Pit. Head coach Craig Neal was unavailable for comment.

UNM fans continued to fill seats during the team’s first losing season in nearly a decade. Even with the lowest average attendance at The Pit since 2012, Lobo supporters averaged more than 14,000 fans for the past five years. New Mexico has grown accustomed to breaking the top-25 attendance barrier for nearly half a century; the 218,558 fans that trundled into The Pit constituted the 18th highest attendance in the country.

New Mexico found some success playing in front of the home crowd, going 10-5 at home while collecting a 5-11 record away during the 15-16 season. UNM hadn’t produced a sub-.500 year since the 2006-2007 season, the final year Ritchie McKay coached New Mexico.

The women’s basketball team also cracked the top-20 with an average of 5,168 fans in 17 home games — good enough for the 16th spot in the nation for attendance.

“It’s a testament to our loyal fans, especially after a slow start,” head coach Yvonne Sanchez said in a statement. “We are looking to increase that fan base in the future. We are very fortunate, and it’s why The Pit is a special place to play.”

The women’s program thrived under the home-court ambiance during the 2014-2015 season with 12 straight home wins, the longest streak in program history. UNM overcame a sluggish 1-7 start to finish 21-13 — the best in the Sanchez era.

Sanchez’s squad certainly found success at home during the regular season, as the team put together a 13-2 record. The women haven’t lost a game at The Pit since November 29, 2014.

“Historically, men and women’s basketball fans have been the best in the Mountain West,” Krebs said.

According to the NCAA’s official release, the Lobos were the only team in the conference to crack the top 25 in the nation. San Diego State’s men’s basketball — the team with the best record in the conference (27-9, 14-4 MW) — recorded the second-largest home crowd in the Mountain West, averaging 12,414 bodies per game, good enough for 27th in the nation.

On the women’s side, only Wyoming surpassed 3,000 fans per home game. The 3,228 turnout for each game was good enough for 35th in the United States. Colorado State — the top finisher in the Mountain West with a 23-8 record (15-3 MW) — only managed 1,289 fans per home game, the fourth most in the conference and the 109th in the nation.

Krebs said the Lobo faithful will continue to fill UNM’s arena throughout rough patches and during the good times.

“It’s truly remarkable,” Krebs said. “Year after year, the fans offer their support.”

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter@Liam_CE.