Signs are set up at the entrance of Camp Resurrection during its relocation at Lomas Boulevard and I-25. Homelessness is among the most dire issues affecting Albuquerque and the UNM area, and there is ongoing debate on how to address it.

Being a Lobo: Top five issues to concern students

Lobos incensed by problems from parking to post-grad

Like many universities, UNM is full of students from all different walks of life, each with a perspective and opinion of their own. Lobos are not afraid to speak their minds when it comes to issues within the community. Here, we’ve compiled some of the most highly debated topics that have come up this past year in relation to college life and the Land of Enchantment.

1. Homelessness

Homelessness, and the way to address it, has been a long-running debate in Albuquerque, particularly in the UNM area. Students often navigate in and around a campus with a high homeless population.

In an article last October, UNM Police Department public information officer Lt. Tim Stump talked about how they handle UNM’s homeless population. “It’s a daily occurrence, but we treat it more as a proactive approach,” Stump said. “We have officers go out every morning and in the late evenings. We try to get them to shelters, we’re in touch with all the organizations that take people in, we try to get them in to MATS (detox program) or Joy Junction.”

2. Divestment

With climate change an undeniable reality, investing in fossil fuel companies is becoming more and more controversial — something UNM is still involved in. The University voted not to divest from these companies at a June 12 meeting.

State Sen. Gerald Ortiz y Pino, a Democrat, voiced his opinion on divestment in a recent article. “The fossil fuel industry, over the past few years, has earned significantly lower revenue for investors than has practically any other index of investments,” Ortiz y Pino said. “It is a red herring to suggest that there would be any risk for UNM to take this step.”

3. Parking situation

On-campus parking woes, along with auto theft, have long been a thorn in many students’ sides. In 2014, there were 28 auto thefts and 97 auto burglaries on UNM campus.

Aaron Ashe, whose truck was stolen from T lot, said, “I was really upset. I have paid (parking) fees for the last six years, and they don’t even have security guards or cameras.”

It is not just crime that makes parking a hassle, but the meters and increasing permit costs are not ideal for a student’s budget, either.

4. Marijuana legalization

Marijuana legalization is a controversial topic across the nation, with plenty of opinions on both sides. UNM is no different.

According to UNMPD, about 65 percent of all drug-related confiscations on campus from April 17, 2014 to March 2, 2015 were marijuana related.

In the Daily Lobo “Green Edition,” Nathan Dobie, president of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, said the organization aims to raise awareness of drugs and push for students to make their own decisions. Dobie said students should be allowed to experiment because college is a time of learning and growth. He said, “Why should a place of learning be conformed to archaic drug laws?”

5. Post-Grad employment

College life is a time of forward momentum backed by the educational process, but what about life after college? Many students at UNM and around the nation feel an unease about their future success after graduation — a natural concern, considering the highly competitive and saturated job market.

Jenna Crabb, UNM’s director for career services, said colleges and potential employers have begun to encourage students to get experience in their respective fields instead of solely obtaining a degree and expecting a job.

“Employers are really wanting you to have experience. You’ve got to prove to them that you have experience in the field,” Crabb said. “That, I think, is one biggest thing that pushes from our office: helping students get those experiences.”

Matthew Reisen is a staff reporter for the DailyLobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@DailyLobo.