A New Mexico sunset graces the sky near the Heights area on a November 15, 2014. New Mexico is known for its breathtaking sunsets.

Being a Lobo: Top reasons to stay in the Land of Enchantment

UNM grads may be fleeing the state in droves, but sticking around has its advantages

Seemingly the only thing on UNM seniors’ minds during their final year is getting the heck out of state once they walk across the stage and get their hands on their degrees. And why not? There’s a huge world out there to explore...albeit a Hatch green chile-less one.

But really, aside from New Mexico’s staple food, there’s many reasons why staying in Albuquerque following graduation, at least for a little while, is an excellent idea. Here are the top five.

1. Because it has all the sights and traveling you need

Expensive airfare and road trips that last days can wait. All the traveling you need while raising money for those pricier trips can be done in state.

New Mexico is one of the most diverse states, where you’re able to see forests, deserts and everything in between on a weekend trip. Throw in one-of-a-kind locations like White Sands, Four Corners and Carlsbad Caverns, and you have a whole bevy of cool places to visit on a budget.

2. The price to live here is low, and for that New Mexico ranks high

According to mymove.com, New Mexico’s cost of living is approximately 7.37 percent lower than the national average, so it won’t be tough to fulfill item number one on this list.

In addition, New Mexico is in the top half of U.S. states when it comes to hourly wage needed to afford a two-bedroom rental, at $14.84, according to The Washington Post. That may seem like a high number, but when you consider that you need to make $21.69 to live in the 10 priciest states on that list, your bank account will breath a sigh of relief.

3. All that Vitamin D!

According to currentresults.com, New Mexico is third only to Arizona and Nevada when it comes to sunshine, as 76 percent of the time between dawn and dusk the sun is out and adorning the Land of Enchantment.

Meaning you almost never have to worry about Isotopes games or concerts at Isleta being rained out, and it’s easy to take advantage of New Mexico’s outdoor-friendly reputation.

4. You’ll soon be able to take your talents down the street

Why leave the state to maximize your abilities, when Albuquerque is close to becoming an oasis for visionary entrepreneurs?

Innovate ABQ is an ongoing collaboration between UNM and the city to provide a hub for researchers and innovators to work together and get ideas off the ground, to the benefit of individuals looking to maximize their potential as well as the local economy.

Oh, and looking for a place to live? Workers hired by projects that sprout from Innovate ABQ will have their own residential living space at Innovate ABQ’s location near downtown, according to innovateabq.com, where the ground will break soon on the potentially game-changing initiative.

5. New. Mexico. Sunsets.

‘Nuff said.

David Lynch is the assistant news editor at The Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistant-news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@RealDavidLynch.