CAPS tutors Emillia Masaka, right, a third-year Ph.D. student, and Tana Moore, left, a speech and hearing science student, chat during the grand opening of the CAPS Writing and Language Center on Jan. 14. The center, located in Education classrooms 208 and 210, helps students with writing and foreign languages.

Being a Lobo: Top resources for stressed students

Going to college can be rough. It’s time-consuming, brain-wracking and just all-around stressful. But the degree at the end of your time there is totally worth it. For those working toward that degree at UNM, here are some resources to help get to that light at the end of the tunnel.

1.Center for Academic Program Support

CAPS is the ultimate on-campus tutoring resource for students who need some extra help with their classes. It has an online tutoring program, a math and science tutoring program, a writing and language center, a learning strategies program, multi-disciplinary tutoring and much more. CAPS is the study group you’ve been looking for without the awkward planning around strangers’ schedules and locations.

For more information, visit caps.unm.edu.

2.Specialized tutoring

Many departments and buildings offer tutoring for students who need a little more personalized help. The School of Engineering provides services for all levels of math as well as in every field of engineering by senior-level students for students majoring in engineering. Dane Smith Hall offers tutoring tables for calculus, algebra and statistics on the third floor. Students looking for extra help should check the department buildings for their respective majors to see if there is any specialized tutoring offered before allowing a panic attack to set in.

3. LGBTQ Resource Center

As the name implies, the resource center is there to help all students of the LGBTQ community and their allies. There students can find counseling, an LGBTQ library with special books not found anywhere else on campus, computer labs and any other resources students might need. It also has rainbow signs everywhere, for those who need a little more color in their lives.

For more information, visit lgbtqrc.unm.edu.

4. Online study resources

There are also online resources that can allow students to connect with peers online and help each other out. One increasingly popular website for this is StudyRoom. It’s like Facebook for students, but without all the annoying game requests and poking. Other useful websites are StudyBlue and Evernote — and don’t forget Microsoft Office is offered free for UNM students by the University, including the online versions of Word, OneNote, etc.

5. Student Support Services

Student Support Services is a program offered specifically for first-generation college students from low-income families to provide the support needed to make it to graduation. The point of the program is to increase the graduation rates of the school by helping those who struggle the most reach graduation day. Services offered include academic and career advisement; tutoring; mentoring; personal, financial and graduate school guidance; workshops and social events. This may be the answer that students who don’t have a support system at home are looking for.

For more information, visit ssstrio.unm.edu.

6.Resource centers in general

One can find just about any type of resource center at UNM to help with every issue imaginable. From women to graduate students to veterans, there is a resource center for everyone who requires any personalized help during their time at UNM. They are there specifically to provide resources for those who need them, so students are always welcomed.

Students can search “resource center” in the UNM website’s search bar for information on the LGBTQ Resource Center, the Veteran’s Resource Center, the Accessibility Resource Center, the Women’s Resource Center, and the Graduate Resource Center.

7.Student Health & Counseling

Finally, there is SHAC — everyone’s favorite place for free condoms, mints and STD testing. It’s conveniently located in the center of central campus, right next to the SUB. There are a variety of health services provided free or at low-cost to UNM students including counseling, a pharmacy, and Go Ask Alice, a website where all your awkward health questions will be answered before you have to use that condom and mint you picked up.

For more information, visit shac.unm.edu.

Skylar Griego is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.