Being a Lobo: Top five classes you'll be tempted to pass up

Though they might not look interesting on paper, these classes will expand your worldview

Some classes you have to take to satisfy your major’s requirements, but that doesn’t mean they have to be boring. With UNM’s robust course catalog, students are given a wide array of subjects to take. They may sound like “BS” classes on the surface, but they actually offer interesting subject matter. Here are five examples:

1. The Blue Planet, ENVS 101

You probably think you know a lot about Earth. You’ve been living on this planet for your entire life, after all. But if you take The Blue Planet, you will soon learn that there is much more to Earth than your elementary understanding of earthquakes, volcanoes and the water cycle.

This introduction to environmental science covers Earth’s atmosphere, lithosphere and oceans, and explains how ecosystems are connected to the physical environment. Ongoing environmental news is also discussed. This class is great if you want to build your understanding of Earth, or you simply need a science credit but have no interest in the hard sciences.

2. Introduction to Film Studies, MA 210

Would you like to go to class, watch an interesting movie and go home? If so, then take Introduction to Film Studies. This course surveys the main trends in film history and analyzes film as an art form through screenings of major, culturally significant movies. The class will also count as your fine arts core requirement. Be forewarned, however: this is generally a three-hour-long evening class, so enough time is provided to watch a full movie.

3. Living 
World Religions, RELG 107

This is one of those big 300-people-in-a-lecture-hall classes; but it’s a good one. Having knowledge of the major religions is important and useful, and this course will provide you with a basic understanding of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism and Islam. The lectures are engaging, informative and completely impartial to any one religion. If you go to class and listen, acing the tests is easy.

4. Introduction to Sociology, SOC 101

If you have any interest in the people around you, taking an introduction to sociology course is a good idea. Sociology is the study of human social life, and it helps explain why people do what they do both as individuals and in groups. This course will provide you with a vast amount of interesting information on a number of topics pertaining to society. You will look at the world in a new way.

5. Cultures of the World, ANTH 130

Rather than generally survey of the study of anthropology like the introduction course would, Cultures of the World examines a few specifically selected societies. It teaches the basic concepts and methods involved in cultural anthropology and gets you thinking like a scientist. If you have already taken the introduction course and want something more, or if you are interested in scientifically examining different types of societies, this is the class for you.

Marielle Dent is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. You can reach her at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Marielle_Dent.