Kimmie Carson, left, and fellow defensive player move into a tackle position to attempt to tackle a running back Wednesday at the Dow Tiehm Complex for football spring training.

Lobos predicted to finish last in Mountain Division

Expectations are still low for New Mexico.

At the Mountain West Media Days in Las Vegas, Nevada, the conference announced the preseason polls for the Mountain and West Divisions. UNM was selected to finish sixth in the six-team Mountain Division and finished with just 41 points. Only UNLV (37 points) in the West Division had a lower point total than the Lobos.

Kick returner Carlos Wiggins was the lone Lobo to earn a spot on the Preseason All-Mountain West squad as a return specialist. Wiggins, who also made the preseason team last year, played in just eight games last year and averaged 29.3 yards per kickoff return.

Boise State was picked to finish atop the Mountain Division with 177 points (28 first-place votes), followed by Utah State (150 points, two first-place votes), Colorado State (108 points), Air Force (90 points) and Wyoming (64 points).

In the West Division, San Diego State was tagged as the team to beat with 177 points (27 first-place votes). Fresno State finished in second with 141 points (three first-place votes).

UNM’s media day doesn’t occur until Wednesday.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.

Mountain West Preseason Poll predicted order of finish

Mountain Division

Rank Team Points
1. Boise State 177
2. Utah State 150
3. Colorado State 108
4. Air Force 90
5. Wyoming 64
6.  New Mexico 41

West Division

Rank Team Points
1. San Diego State 177
2. Fresno State 141
3. Nevada 113
4. San Jose State 97
5. Hawaii 70
6. UNLV 31