A UNM alum kicks the rugby ball to the side of the field on Saturday at Johnson Field. Men's Soccer Goalie Feature.

A UNM alum kicks the rugby ball to the side of the field on Saturday at Johnson Field.

Men's Soccer Goalie Feature.

Rugby: Burgeoning sport needs Lobo love

Many former UNM rugby players still keep strong ties to the program and serve as coaches and mentors today.

On Saturday, some of those former players squared off against the current team in an exhibition game at the annual UNM Lobos RFC alumni match in a 46-31 win for the alumni.

Tom Goslau, the new head coach of the men’s rugby team, has more than 30 years of experience playing and coaching. He came on after former coach Mike Hardy stepped down for personal reasons. Goslau said he thinks the alumni game is very special, and hopes the current team will form strong bonds with the alumni.

“I’d like them to communicate to the alumni that there is a strong culture with this team,” Goslau said. “I hope the alumni will come in and show these guys a lot of support.”

Goslau’s team struck first, scoring a try, the equivalent of a touchdown in football, early in the game, but missed the following conversion. However, the alumni team seemed to control possession for the remainder of the half. The alumni scored the game’s next 3 tries and put the current players in a big deficit.

UNM got back in the game by scoring late, and followed up with another score after jumping in front of an intended pass and returning it the length of the pitch.

The alumni team returned the favor just moments later, creating a turnover of its own with the Lobos backed up near their own post, scoring again and putting the game out of reach.

The alumni team scored eight tries, and the Lobo team scored five. Both teams successfully converted three times after scoring.

Dustin Soflin, a junior business administration major and team president, has been playing rugby for six years. He started in high school and played four years for UNM.

One of the unique things about rugby is the culture, Soflin said.

“After the games, we get together with the other team and have dinner,” he said. “The home team provides food and all the players come together. ‘Enemies on the field, friends off the field’ is how I see it.”

Clifford Kindred, a sophomore business administration major, is the team captain and alumni coordinator. Kindred began playing rugby in high school at La Cueva. He also participated in football, track and wrestling, but said rugby is something unique and special to him. He said the culture in some other sports often leads to some athletes putting individual achievements above team goals.

“Other sports seem to have exclusivity and the focus is on the individual, but rugby is all-inclusive,” Kindred said. “It helps build up character in people that leads to them being successful in life.”

Kindred said he thinks the game of rugby has a level of respect that is different from other sports. He said he understands why some people might be afraid to play because of the physicality, but players understand that nobody is wearing pads and they protect each other.

James Fink, a sophomore general engineering major, is also a player. Fink also began playing rugby at La Cueva High School. He participated in football, track and field, and wrestling as well.

Fink worked out with several other players during the summer and is anxious to get back on the pitch. He said they played in an offseason league off campus and worked out with each other on a training program.

“I’m always looking forward to the next game,” Fink said. “The sacrifices are totally worth it, because the amount of fun you have is out of this world.”

The spring season ended with some of the games being cancelled due to weather, and hard-fought losses to Wyoming and Colorado. As UNM Lobos RFC begins its second season at the division 1-A level, they are excited to get back to playing. The division is the highest played at the collegiate level, and several opponents on the schedule are perennially ranked in the top 20 in the nation.

Goslau coached several of the current players at the high school level, as well as over the summer in an off-campus league, where some New Mexico players gained experience playing in the nation-wide elite division.

Goslau said he hopes the student population and general public will come out to the games and support the team.

“Love your Lobo rugby team. These guys are participating in the fastest-growing sport in this country right now,” he said. “Some people may not know rugby is being added to the 2016 Olympics, where the United States is the defending gold medal champion.”

The season-opener is set to kick off on Sunday at 1 p.m. on Santa Fe’s home turf.

For more information about the team or if you are interested in playing, contact the team president at dsof5@unm.edu.

Robert Maler is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.