Guest column: Study abroad can be an opportunity for more than language, culture

This past spring semester, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Costa Rica at Universidad Veritas in San Jose. I was excited to find that there was a program like this offering courses in environmental studies that I could use for my major. I heard about these course options at the UNM Study Abroad Fair, where I discovered through a study abroad program called International Studies Abroad. Not only did I get to practice my Spanish and live in a Latin culture, but I was able to do this while taking classes in English. I took classes in ecology and environmental studies, Latin American studies and tropical architecture and design.

Exploring nature was one of my favorite things to do during my study abroad. Class field trips and most excursions were included in the cost of the program. We got to visit ecological sites where we did species monitoring and observed exotic plants and animals. Costa Rica is home to a variety of frogs like the colorful red-eyed tree frog and some of the smallest frogs that can be found there are even smaller than a fingernail. 

Some of my favorite trips were to biological sites like La Selva Biological Station, Monte Verde and Manuel Antonio. Sustainable villages and biodynamic farms like Rancho Mastatal and Sura Finca were so impressive because they demonstrated the practicality and the beauty of living in and preserving natural environments. Seeing some of these places thrive using sustainable methods was an inspiration and a lot of fun. 

I got to taste some of the most delicious organic pineapple, make my own sugar cane juice, and learn the importance of permaculture and proper climate structures. I treasure my experience and everything that I learned on my study abroad and I encourage other students to take an adventure, too!

The Gilman Scholarship can provide up to $5,000 for undergraduate students to pursue their education or internships abroad in most countries. In order to be considered for the Gilman, a student must be a U.S. citizen pursuing a two or four year degree, receiving the Pell Grant and apply to a credited institution abroad. A student planning to study a critical language can be automatically considered for an $8,000 award.

The awesome people at the Global Education Office helped me prepare for my trip and make it a reality. They provided resources that guided me through the Gilman scholarship application process. Thanks to the GEO, I was successful in my second attempt of applying for the Gilman. I was very excited to be a recipient.

Here are some helpful tips for studying abroad in any country:

• Apply early for your study abroad program and be aware of deadlines.
  • Plan a year ahead if you need to and budget all of your expenses.
  • Apply early for grants or scholarships as they can be limited and competitive.
  • Make sure the program you are applying to is at a credited institution and has transferable courses you need for your degree.
  • Study the culture of the country you would like to visit and learn at least some of the language.
  • Pick a location or environment you think you would feel comfortable living in for a month or more. If you love hot weather, don’t pick a cold European country in the middle of winter.
  • Know what kind food you would be eating.
  • Travel light! Airlines charge for each piece of luggage you check in, plus it’s just nice not having to carry around so much stuff.

Last but not least, don’t forget to check out the Study Abroad Fair coming up Thursday, Sep. 3. It will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Cornell Mall. Maybe by this time next year you will be taking a field trip in Europe, Asia, Africa or Latin America!

For info, contact:

Global Education Office

Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship

International Studies Abroad

Anna Maldonado is a senior international studies major at UNM.