Eva Encinias-Sandoval

Eva Encinias-Sandoval

Five and why with Eva Encinias

Eva Encinias-Sandoval, a UNM dance instructor and recipient of the Life Achievement Award, said she has worn “many different hats in the flamenco world.” None, however, have compared to the pleasure of teaching, she said. For more than 50 years, she has taught students ranging from college students to young children. She has also produced and directed a variety of shows and toured the United States with her own southwest-based company, Ritmo Flamenco, during the ‘70s and ‘80s. Here are five of her favorite places to reminisce about:

1. Spain

“I first started traveling to Spain to study when I was much younger. It’s a beautiful country with a blend of cultures and, of course, there’s a lot of fantastic flamenco. It’s always fascinating to me because Spain is very similar to New Mexico in terms of landscape and weather. There’s this multicultural aspect because for so many years the country was under Arabic and Moorish rule. A bunch of festivals occur between August and September as well, so I visit pretty regularly.”

2. California

“Not being close to water, I love the coast and whole stretch of the Pacific Highway, as well as the diversity of Los Angeles. I remember performing our flamenco Christmas show with an artist by the name of Pablo Rodarte. It was very weird to be on the beach and then going in and doing this flamenco show that was Christmas-centered, but it was a really fun experience.”

3. Mexico

“I’ve been to Mexico quite a bit, mainly in the southern part of the country. I taught at the University of Xalapa in Veracruz. My father had a home there, so I used to spend time with him when I was a young girl. I ended up being able to get a job teaching there at the university, so that was a wonderful opportunity. I also got a chance to study with some flamenco masters who happened to be living in Mexico. Each time I went, I would take advantage of the fact that many of these artists had retired there and work with the people important to me.”

4. New York

“I performed at some colleges throughout the state surrounded by so much access to theater, dance and music. Considering its land mass size, what it has in regard to a concentration of the arts is just fantastic. Just having the opportunity to see and experience the vibrant artistic culture was the best part.”

5. New Mexico

“I used to spend a lot of time teaching classes with my mom, Clarita, who established a dancing school here in New Mexico. By the time I was 13 or 14 I was already teaching at her studio, Clarita Bailé Flamenco. We went to Cuba, Santa Fe, Taos and many other areas to perform; I especially love Taos and Abiquiu. I think there’s a stark beauty to our state. People travel here from all over the world to enjoy this beautiful, austere landscape that we live in. I don’t think that we take it for granted, either.”

Jenna Stoff is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.