ASUNM column: Big opportunities to get involved this week

Like we promised at the beginning of the year, Alex and I write these weekly columns for the main purpose of being transparent and keeping all students informed of the different events and endeavors that ASUNM is taking on. This week is a VERY heavy week for ASUNM, which means that it is all the more reason for YOU to participate and get involved!

1. Red Rally: Thursday

Red Rally is THE premiere pep rally to boost Lobo pride before our football team takes on the NMSU Aggies on Saturday! Lobo Spirit, one of the eight ASUNM agencies, hosts this event.

The agency staff, as well as between ten to 30 volunteers on any given day, has spent the last three weeks building the 25-foot "Aggie". On Thursday, hundreds of students will gather on Johnson Field around 8 p.m.

The festivities will include a presence of some members of the UNM football team, Coach Bob Davie, a wonderful DJ, and of course, the burning of the Aggie. If you have NEVER been to an ASUNM event before, this would most definitely be the perfect first experience, and Jordan Scott, the executive director of Lobo Spirit, as well as the entire staff and volunteer base, have worked tirelessly to make sure this event caters to the inner spirit in each of you!

2. Fall Frenzy: Friday

Fall Frenzy is the event to attend if you love the University of New Mexico and you would like to make it as beautiful as possible. Following Red Rally on Thursday, students from around campus will meet on Friday morning in order to carry out community service projects around campus with the ASUNM agency Community Experience.

These projects will range from planting trees or flowers and raking leaves, to laying rock and pulling weeds. The purpose: to make our campus a more beautiful place prior to the UNM v. NMSU game, as well as for Homecoming Week, which is in mid- October.

If you love our campus, love community service or just want to get involved, Fall Frenzy is the perfect opportunity to do that! Head to tce.unm.edu to sign up for Fall Frenzy, and feel free to contact the Executive Director of CE, Amelia Linde, or any of the CE staff, for further questions or concerns.

3. Lottery Summit: Friday

If you attend Fall Frenzy and you just haven't had enough of ASUNM, at 1 p.m. you can head into the SUB to Ballroom A and attend the Lottery Summit, an event put on by the ASUNM agency Governmental Affairs.

This Lottery Summit will be bringing together state lawmakers as well as student government officials, administrators and regents from across the state. Between 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. will be YOUR chance to speak your mind on the impacts of the reduced Lottery Scholarship, its current state and the future of the scholarship.

If you have questions, feel free to contact James Clarke, the executive director of Governmental Affairs, as well as the Governmental Affairs staff.

Jenna Hagengruber is the 2015-16 ASUNM president and can be reached at asunmprz@unm.edu.