Letter: Obama is not living up to his words about justice and human dignity

A quote from President Obama Wednesday, addressing Pope Francis: “You call on all of us, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, to put the ‘least of these’ at the center of your concerns...to stand up for justice and against inequality, and to ensure that every human being is able to live in dignity because we are all made in the image of God.”

These words are coming from our president, a man who has vowed to veto bills that would:

1. Stand up for justice and against inequity.

2. Ensure that every human being is able to live in dignity.

3. And promote that we are all made in the image of God.

The bills are:

Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act: This would ban abortions nationally after five months of pregnancy. Fetuses during the fifth month can live outside of the womb and feel pain as you and I do. Currently, several states perform abortion up until the day of birth for any reason. New Mexico is the late-term abortion capital. A woman is free to obtain an emergency C-section to remove the baby if she is in danger, This would save her life and, in most instances, the baby’s.

Born-Alive Infants Protection Act: This would protect babies that have been born alive after a failed abortion. Many victims of failed abortions have shared their stories about nearly being dumped in a bucket of Formaldehyde to die - similar to other babies killed by abortion. Others have been left in a room to die, or had their spines or necks clipped by abortionists like Kermit Gosnell.

To defund Planned Parenthood: This would put a one-year hold on tax-dollar funding to Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion provider (300,000 abortions performed every year), to ensure that a proper investigation is held for the claims that they are selling babies’ hearts, lungs, brains, livers and eyes for profit. Men and women would have the 13,000 federally qualified health clinics that outnumber Planned Parenthood locations 20-1 and provide more services free of charge.

I would like to ask our president why he claims to stand up for justice and against inequality, to ensure that every human being is able to live in dignity, and to believe that we are all made in the image of God, but continues to drown innocent babies inside and outside of the womb in deep waters of injustice.

I would like to ask Obama supporters and all who do not support these three bills ... why? Why do these lives not matter if they are human lives? By the Constitution, aren’t we all promised life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Can any of us have these opportunities without life in itself?

I would like to ask the church and all supporters of life, “what are you doing to bring justice to the least of these?” Are you just protesting abortion, or are you helping women who are in these situations? Are you taking them into your homes? Are you offering them resources? Are you praying for them? If they choose life, do you support them after they have their babies? If they choose death, do you love them after their abortions? Are you adopting if you can afford to? Are you discipling others to carry the torch?

I have many questions, and I know many will go unanswered. This is not a place for me to shame, but to challenge each and every one of us, including myself. If you support life, what more can you do until abortion is done away with? If you do not value life and support abortion, I challenge you to at least reconsider on these bills.

Sincerely,

Sade Patterson

Students for Life president