Gilbert Hernandez, an Albuquerque resident, speaks with a Honeywell representative at the New Mexico Center for Development and Disability. Governor Martinez named October as Disability Employment Awareness month and spoke at a 9:30 AM news conference preceding a job fair at the CDD.

UNM hosts disability awareness job fair

Gov. Susana Martinez recently proclaimed October Disability Employment Awareness Month across the state, and UNM continued this spark of awareness with a job fair hosted by the Center for Development and Disability.

The job fair catered to disabled individuals looking for work, and was followed a press conference held by CDD officially introducing Martinez’s latest initiative.

"We're just trying to get, you know, more awareness that there are people with disabilities who are looking for jobs, who are capable of performing lots of different tasks, and are great employees," said Dr. Robert DelCampo, associate dean at the Anderson School of Management, and a member of the executive committee at the Partners for Employment group. "So just more opportunity and more exposure for them."

DelCampo said he had a strong faith in the job fair as a whole, which was held at UNM's Center for Development and Disability. The center works to “build the capacities of states and communities to respond to the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families,” according to its website.

Deputy Secretary of Public Education Paul Aguilar said he believes those who attended the fair fit the bill as far as what prospective employers are looking for.

"(Companies) are interested in finding good employees, that's the first thing," Aguilar said. "And I think that, you know, we have folks that are disabled that have great job skills and great attitudes, and a great work history; sometimes they just need some support in finding employment. And I think we have motivated employers and motivated job seekers that are going to come together."

There were about 40 employers at the job fair looking to hire disabled job seekers. Companies ranged from Verizon and Sprint, all the way to Payday Human Capital Management, which helps to represent companies throughout New Mexico, and even hires for these companies in some cases.

New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas also spoke at the event. For him, the issue at hand strikes home.

“I also have a daughter with a disability who is now 16 years old, and she changed my life in terms of how we look at the complete road,” Balderas said. “She transformed our family and our community and our school district, and she has profoundly made an impact that is life changing, not just for us, but for everyone she touches.”

The CDD program, Partners for Employment, will be hosting workshops throughout the month of October to advocate the initiative of supporting inclusive business in the state, particularly when it comes to those with disabilities. Further information and dates for these workshops can be found here

Matthew Narvaiz a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealMattNarvaiz.