Album review: "Depression Cherry" soothes with simplicity

The beautiful thing about music is the variety of emotions and urges it’s able to evoke in listeners. It can serve as a cry for help, a call for action or just a way to vent. Music can soothe a restless soul, and sometimes, all one can do is lie back and get lost in it.

The newest release from dream pop/indie rock duo Beach House, “Depression Cherry,” is an album made to quiet the beast within.

For 45 glorious minutes, listeners can get lost in a state of tranquility with haunting melodies sung by Victoria Legrand. The soft, repetitive beats blended with the mild darkness of Alex Scally’s guitar and Legrand’s pleasantly dissonant organ will settle even the most panicked minds.

The first track, “Levitation,” draws listeners in with a building intro that transitions into mysterious lyrics. “You and me with our long hair on the gold one / After midnight we could feel it all / I go anywhere you want to.”

Beach House’s fifth record is full of enigmatic lyrics such as these, weaving images through listeners’ minds as the gentle music relaxes them.

The entire album radiates a cosmic peace with its dream pop sound. “Depression Cherry” would be the perfect record to put on while leaning against the window on a rainy day. Even with sad lyrics such as those in “Space Song,” the mellow harmonies present throughout each track make the sadness of the lyrics and the listeners not only bearable, but also strangely comforting.

“Bluebird” may be the most comforting song of all. Though it starts with a simple, fast cymbal tap, the guitar enters with a haunting melody, perfect for submerging one’s thoughts into the soft harmonies of the vocals.

At the end of the song, listeners are left to answer the question she asks: “Bluebird, where are you going to go now?”

The music of “Bluebird” and the rest of the album is light and simple. There are no complex solos or impressively difficult harmonies. The drums play a low-key role throughout the entire record, keeping the tempo moderate and calm. Though it is not impressive in a technical manner, “Depression Cherry” embodies the idea that “less is more” through the simplicity of each song.

The sound effects, like those in the final song, “Days of Candy,” give the CD a cosmic vibe that makes listeners feel as though they are wandering through a somewhat sad dream. The simplistic techniques used for each song complement this effect magnificently.

When the last song of “Depression Cherry” is finished, listeners are left with a sense of peace fit for quiet contemplation. This record is perfect for anyone looking to get away from the stress of everyday life.

Those who wish to experience the haunting calm of “Depression Cherry” can listen to the full album for free online.

Skylar Griego is the culture editor at the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @TDLBooks.